free website stats program Missing at constant speed? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Missing at constant speed?

Bodeen,
I've got about 1200mi on the 21's now and have experienced this also. Exactly like what you've described or combo miss/flat spot sound/feel. Maybe at the right rpm & load this is just what these cams do and traveler hit the nail on the head here in post #2..??
I don't have any problem rolling on the throttle from that point nor is there any flat spot rolling on from any point.

BTW I'm EFI.....

Also,this also doesn't happen all the time, just once in awhile. Maybe when the bike isn't fully warmed up (not exactly sure).

Mine does it cold and hot and I can make it happen on demand. It doesn't feel flat or dead to me its a sound that isnt pleasing......
It rolls on from any spot very well. What exhaust do you have?

Alright, old lifters back out, new lifters back in. Adjusted to 3 turns plus 3 flats on S.E. tapered's. Out with the 46 slow and in with the 48 and it is MUCH better. I wouldn't say its all gone but it is miles from where it was yesterday. A little tweak here and there with the carb and I think I'm good to go. Thanks to all for their responses.

You guy's with F.I. may want to try and richen it up a little and see if you can tune it out.

Alright, old lifters back out, new lifters back in. Adjusted to 3 turns plus 3 flats on S.E. tapered's. Out with the 46 slow and in with the 48 and it is MUCH better. I wouldn't say its all gone but it is miles from where it was yesterday. A little tweak here and there with the carb and I think I'm good to go. Thanks to all for their responses.

You guy's with F.I. may want to try and richen it up a little and see if you can tune it out.
Have you checked the idle mix screw in the dropdown under the float bowl? Is the welch plug still in if it is remove it and turn the screw out 1/2 turn and try

A little late here, but I'm running Python exhaust.

I also should've mentioned that I added the Gen3 EJK at the same as the 21's.
Everything seemed to work well so I never messed around with the base settings the Gen3 came with. I always meant to play around with the settings but....

Now at : green 3.5 , yel 2.5 , red 2.5 , gr/bl .5 , yel/bl 4 , red/bl 4.5
If anyone has suggestions, I'm listening.

Good thread. Glad you've got a handle on this Bodeen!
+1 Bubbie :s

A little late here, but I'm running Python exhaust.

I also should've mentioned that I added the Gen3 EJK at the same as the 21's.
Everything seemed to work well so I never messed around with the base settings the Gen3 came with. I always meant to play around with the settings but....

Now at : green 3.5 , yel 2.5 , red 2.5 , gr/bl .5 , yel/bl 4 , red/bl 4.5
If anyone has suggestions, I'm listening.

Good thread. Glad you've got a handle on this Bodeen!
+1 Bubbie :s

Cant help with your EJK. But whatever pot is for the slow jet equivalent or 1/4 - 3/8 throttle. Give it a tweak, you can always go back. A suggestion though, write down where you are at now or I guess you could refer to this thread.

Was riding with a 04' Softail today and gave him a real good run.:D

Cant help with your EJK. But whatever pot is for the slow jet equivalent or 1/4 - 3/8 throttle. Give it a tweak, you can always go back. A suggestion though, write down where you are at now or I guess you could refer to this thread.

Was riding with a 04' Softail today and gave him a real good run.:D
That must have been PA:p

The problem is not cam or lifter related; sounds like you have that figured out. However, I would definitely check the float level. At that RPM range the carb is transitioning from the slow to the flat section of the needle. The slow jet sits right at the fuel level in the bowl, if the float level is set properly. So, the fact that you went up on the slow would indicate that the slow may be the offender but not necessarily by the size of the jet but the fuel level being too low to feed at that constant RPM level. Once you whack the throttle, the carb is off the slow and feeding via the tapered section of the needle and it sounds like the 190 main is enough. The main jet sits much lower in the bowl than the slow, so you would have to hold wide open throttle for a while to pull the fuel level down to a level where you would notice the effect. The slow jet is much more sensitive to fule level than the main.

I forget if the motor is still 88" or now 95" but even at 95", IMHO, a 48 slow is fat. You may be surprised how float level can have an effect on performance.:D

I'll check it for sure. I had written off the slow jet change because I thought the 46 would be good and the 48 WAY too much. Its still 88". I am still trying needles and am currently on the sporty needle and believe it is too rich even though I already knew that. I was reaching...... Going back to stock with washers that got me all these miles. Float level by the book, or some other method?

I'll check it for sure. I had written off the slow jet change because I thought the 46 would be good and the 48 WAY too much. Its still 88". I am still trying needles and am currently on the sporty needle and believe it is too rich even though I already knew that. I was reaching...... Going back to stock with washers that got me all these miles. Float level by the book, or some other method?

By the book umless it is cutting out at top end starving for fuel, and or overflowing

Back