free website stats program Misses and loses power | Harley Davidson Forums

Misses and loses power

Caper

Hey, a buddy of mine rides a 91 Ultra...the end of last year he had a new stator and regulator put in and a new secondary belt put on.
The bike starts fine and runs but when he turns on the stereo it loses power and the bike starts missing.The swing arm was off to install the belt,I'm thinking he may have a bad ground. Nothing under the fairing was touched.
Any ideas?? TIA

Hey, a buddy of mine rides a 91 Ultra...the end of last year he had a new stator and regulator put in and a new secondary belt put on.
The bike starts fine and runs but when he turns on the stereo it loses power and the bike starts missing.The swing arm was off to install the belt,I'm thinking he may have a bad ground. Nothing under the fairing was touched.
Any ideas?? TIA

Swingarm? Hmmm. Not sure why, but OK.

Does the radio work? This does sounds like a short/bad ground. Have you guys gone around to all the grounds, wiggled the wires and check that everything is tight? This would include inside the fairing since I think there are some there too. Also have y'all removed, wire brushed and reinstalled the battery cables (both ends of each)?

If you have check all that and still have problems, suggest you pull the radio and send it to Radio Sound. They will check it out completely and send it back refurbished for $175. Check them on the internet.

TQ

One of the things about troubleshooting is the potential for introducing "collateral damage". When servicing the alternator/regulator, did they check for associated wiring and connectors nearby when they removed the cabling tiedowns and main harness hardware, as well as any removal/reinstallation of parts in the area to access them? Unseating connectors, flexing/straining/breaking wires in confined area is easily done while in the "heat of battle..."!

Before you tear the radio out,did you do a voltage/amperage check while the bike was running,or just assume that because the parts were new everything was working properly? This is a mistake I have made in the past:(

Good input here. Possible the bike has a low voltage problem and with the radio on, it may pull just enough away from the rest of the bike to cause the problem. ECM's need at least 9 volts to run and you may be nearing that and what you are getting is the result. Just thinking out loud here.

Good input here. Possible the bike has a low voltage problem and with the radio on, it may pull just enough away from the rest of the bike to cause the problem. ECM's need at least 9 volts to run and you may be nearing that and what you are getting is the result. Just thinking out loud here.

Yep, good input is right...I don't know a lot about the ultra wiring, but i thought the main ground is on the frame close to the swingarm..my bud is taking a multi meter over tonite and do some checking. The radio worked fine before the stator/regulator work. The bike is sensor free, so there would only be a ignition module,no??I don't recall any sensors on a carbed Evo. Good plan to check alternator output. Is it possible that the stator doesn't have enuf windings to put out enuf amps to handle the draw of an fully loaded ultra with lighting accessories??
Thanks for the input fellas.:)

Yep, good input is right...I don't know a lot about the ultra wiring, but i thought the main ground is on the frame close to the swingarm..my bud is taking a multi meter over tonite and do some checking. The radio worked fine before the stator/regulator work. The bike is sensor free, so there would only be a ignition module,no??I don't recall any sensors on a carbed Evo. Good plan to check alternator output. Is it possible that the stator doesn't have enuf windings to put out enuf amps to handle the draw of an fully loaded ultra with lighting accessories??
Thanks for the input fellas.:)

Your main ground is a heavy cable from the negative terminal on the battery to one of the mounting bolts on the starter.

TQ

Back