free website stats program missed a gear | Harley Davidson Forums

missed a gear

gunnut

Hi again all you great people,Just wondered if and how often youve ever missed a gear changeing up or down,and what damage(if)is attendent with this,and what was your most embarrassing fluffed gear change moment??
Mine was at the lights,being eyeballed good and proper by a mini-bus full of teenagers.I forgot I was in neutral,tryed a cool going, going, gone and.....nothing but revs and a window full of grinning faces!

Done the "forgot I was in neutral" trick MANY times, but it's certainly not as embarrassing as the "forgot I was in first" deal and you just dump the clutch thinking you're in neutral. Almost crashed my Sportster into the garage door in that second scenario showing off my new bike to my brother. He was very impressed! :p

Hi again all you great people,Just wondered if and how often youve ever missed a gear changeing up or down,and what damage(if)is attendent with this,and what was your most embarrassing fluffed gear change moment??
Mine was at the lights,being eyeballed good and proper by a mini-bus full of teenagers.I forgot I was in neutral,tryed a cool going, going, gone and.....nothing but revs and a window full of grinning faces!

We have all had at least one of these moments. Just a question, do you make it a habit of sitting at stop lights in neutral? For safety you should have the bike in gear so you can get out of the way of distracted drivers approaching from the rear, or any other inpending disaster.

We have all had at least one of these moments. Just a question, do you make it a habit of sitting at stop lights in neutral? For safety you should have the bike in gear so you can get out of the way of distracted drivers approaching from the rear, or any other inpending disaster.

I second that Don. I have tried to make it a habit to watch my mirror until a few cars have lined up behind me just in case I have to get out of the way. I also stop off to the side behind of the car in front of me as opposed to in the middle behind them.

I'm not afraid to admit my embarrising missed gears! Last summer I stopped by my uncles house to show off the new scoot......when I was pulling out of his driveway with 4 friends watching I planned to do the going going gone routine......got a great pull through 1st....clutched and kicked up......rolled the throttle and got nothing but revs! Hit N on the way up and looked like an idiot! It happens!:s

I drop into neutral at the lites AFTER I've checked the traffic around me has all come to a stop.I've never given much thought to something behind the vehicle behind me not stopping,youre quite rite,its something I should be aware of.You cant be too carefull.

You might of been embarrassed with a bus load of kids, BUT when Mine did that,,,,, Revving only,,,The drive belt lay on the pavement right under the bike and Thankful No Body was around to Laugh or jeer at me...:D

signed....BUBBIE

From time to time I miss a gear mostly do to not firmly shifting. The worst was on 1985 VFR1000R Honda sport bike. Missed from 1-2 on a very hard launch from a stop and hit the rev limiter and thought it was not going to stop overreving.

Since December of last year;

Three, Second gear starts. Once killing the motor, Once managed to make my way from the line, and once made it with passenger on.

Several bad first gear starts, killing the motor, ( Those are becoming less frequent )

One first gear clutch dump before passenger got on.

There are probably others I managed to forget.

Back