misprint in owners manual

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by dlao, Apr 7, 2009.

1. dlao

dlao Member

I read in an American Iron issue that the 2006 owners manual for sportsters incorrectly calls for 3.6 quarts for oil change.correct amount should be 3 quarts, I've tried going back through old issues to find it and can't. Does anyone else know anything about this or heard this. Putting 3.6 in mine seems awfully full and high on dipstick.

2. jloomis19

jloomis19 Active Member

Didnt hear about the misprint, but I asked the dealer when I changed my oil, and he said 3 quarts.

3. toddbuckley

toddbuckley Member

I have an 07 sportster and the manual calls for 3.6.

4. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Yep, that is why when changing oil, I always put in 3/4 to 1 quart less than specified, when doing a complete oil change (remember to pre-wet (for 5 minutes) oil filter element, and pre-fill oil filter 1/2 full), before oiling gasket and spinning it on quickly with out spillage.

Then oil fill level barely touches bottom of dip stick cold on side stand (check manual, but most of them say on the side stand...HOT. Warm up engine and recheck that it is between add and full marks. Overfilling can damage the oil "bag" or oil bathe your airfilter from excess oil overflow and leaks when parked overnight.