free website stats program Mirrors on Ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

Mirrors on Ultra

Ole Dawg

I have a problem with my mirrors in that my shoulders are blocking 1/3 of the view.I asked the dealer about this problem and he suggested extended mirrors at $55 each which I thought was nutz for a new bike. Has anyone had this problem? If so what was your solution? Thanks.:newsmile093:

I have the same problem. I can see out of my right side mirror ok
but the keft side is almost useless. I can't see spending more money for mirrors. I will just put up with it for now.:wall

I bought a piece that extends the original mirrors about an inch and a half from the dealer. Can't remember what it cost but they raised the mirrors just enough for a good view to the rear.

Ya, I have much the same issues with the fairing mounted mirrors. It really makes shoulder checks, worth there weight in gold. Highway is not all that bad
but city riding in rush hour can sure be a pain in the neck (pardon the pun).
Let use know what you decide to do, cuz I could always fine some kind of chrome assessory for the holes in the fairing, if I choose to go back to regular mirrors.

Take care and ride safe eh!!:D

1. I wouldn't hesitate to spend $110 on something which will make your riding a safer experience. As mentioned previously, though, don't fall into the trap of letting your mirrors replace a good, over the shoulder scan.

2. I can't believe you're balking at spending some money on your bike just because it's new. The fun is just beginning, my friend! :D

I have a problem with my mirrors in that my shoulders are blocking 1/3 of the view.I asked the dealer about this problem and he suggested extended mirrors at $55 each which I thought was nutz for a new bike. Has anyone had this problem? If so what was your solution? Thanks.:newsmile093:

Make sure that the mirror posts angle directly to the side rather than angling back towards the rider any amount. This should move the mirror itself towards the outside of the bike and provide vision around the rider. My mirrors are the slightly convex type with the warning about objects being closer than they look. The mirrors allow over lap of the traffic following and out to the side to the point that traffic is right on my tail to the left and right.

Regardless of the mirrrors, ALWAYS look over your shoulder in the direction you are going to go to verify what you think the mirrors have said.

TQ

Extended stems well worth the $$; had the same problem myself and well worth it!

I would suggest going one step further: Buy Harleys 'split mirrors'--I don't think HD has them with long stem yet-- with extension (1"--1/2"). These split mirrors are great! Reduce the blind spot on both sides by 98--99%. Not cheap but wonderful on highways especially interstates.

In any event, I now have a stock set of mirrors and a set of long stem mirrors if anybody wants to make an offer and buy them as I am sure I will never, ever use them again!

You guy's must be huge! (wide of shoulder) I am not little (5' 10" 195 lbs) and have no problem with the stock mirror's. When I ride my wifes little Virago 750 it's a different story though.

Thank you all for your replies.:s

I don't mind spending on accessories but to have to drop $$ on a safety item from the get go just seems wrong. That there are identical factory extended mirrors and mirror extensions available tells me that they are well aware of the problem and even seems that they may have been designed that way just to sell mirrors. I wouldn't expect to have to do a mirrors fix on a bike Retailing for $23,000+ but I'm learning that HD's are designed with accessory sales in mind. Seems as every item on the bike has a HD upgrade available.:newsmile093: Hope I'm not being too cynical.:newsmile036:
But just expressing my thoughts. :)

Thank you all for your replies.:s

I don't mind spending on accessories but to have to drop $$ on a safety item from the get go just seems wrong. That there are identical factory extended mirrors and mirror extensions available tells me that they are well aware of the problem and even seems that they may have been designed that way just to sell mirrors. I wouldn't expect to have to do a mirrors fix on a bike Retailing for $23,000+ but I'm learning that HD's are designed with accessory sales in mind. Seems as every item on the bike has a HD upgrade available.:newsmile093: Hope I'm not being too cynical.:newsmile036:
But just expressing my thoughts. :)

I think your dead on. :newsmile093:

Back