free website stats program Mirror Stem Length Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Mirror Stem Length Question

4Barrel

What is the stock mirror set up on a '07 XL? Did they come with the "short" or "long" stems? I'm trying to find out if going to a longer stem will help visibility, but don't know if what I have is already the "long" stem, in Harley terminology. The mirrors I have have stems that are about 5" long. Are the "long" stem mirrors longer than this?

Good idea. just posted them in new thread - don't know how to link it to this thread... sorry about that...

Here are pics of my mirror set up. Are thes ethe "long" or "short" stems?

Attachments

• IMG_1825.jpg
    IMG_1825.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2024.jpg
    IMG_2024.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
My previous bike was an '07 Sportster, even the same color. Those are short stem mirrors you have on there now. One of the first things I did to my bike was change to longer stems and it helped a great deal with visibility. The ones I changed to were rectangular after market brand (Sorry I don't remember the Brand name.. maybe Bikers Choice) but I got them from ZOOM cycle products... around $65. for the pair. You order them separate Left side, Right side. It will help you see better.

I have the stock long stems which give me a better view of my shoulders. :D

It depends on your physical size in relation to the mirror placement. The longer stems don't neccessarily bring the mirror out as much as they come up. Hope that make sense.

I know someone else mentioned they have improved visibility with longer stems.

I would try Hobbit's suggestion with trying the under mount. Cost you nothing to try.

If you don't like the look and want to get longer mirrors, see if you can find them on another bike to make sure the do what you expect.

:57:

The angle of the mirror stem will make a difference in what you view in the mirror too.

I like to get the stems at 90* to the center line of the bike instead of the same angle as the bars.

yes, that's about were i have mine set (90* to centerline), but i still see my shoulders. i am ok with the current, and could have lived with it set up, but I cracked one of the mirrors with a little over-aggressive cleaning ;-( so, i'm thinking of trying the long stems, but I might try the under mount now that I think about it, and then maybe just replace the one i damaged... project for next weekend... thanks again for the suggestions.

I don't know about you, but I need to see a little bit of my shoulder in the mirror so I have some sort of depth perception in the mirror. I've ridden bikes that I couldn't see my shoulder and it messed with me when I looked in the mirror. That's me, though..... You might be different. Now that has me wondering if I'm strange, doesn't everybody see a little bit of themselves in the mirror when they ride?

Back