free website stats program Minimum Age for a Passenger? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Minimum Age for a Passenger?

Hmmm.

I started carrying my daughter on the back of my '91 Dyna (Sturgis) when she was about 3 1/2. Had HD leather bags on the bike so she could not get her feet into the rear wheel. She used the bags as foot rests. In the picture, the bike is still in the garage back in '99 when I was doing a partial rebuild. Wasn't quite finished.

The biggest problem is that she would fall asleep almost immediately. Barely had time to get out of the driveway. So I rigged up a seat belt and shoulder harness to the sissy bar that kept her on the bike. Still, with that great big helmet she would look like she was falling off. This worried the soccer moms in their SUVs with their one kid strapped into a child seat in the center of the middle seat of their land yachts. They would pull up along side, pointing frantically and mouthing "your child is falling off" or something. I'd wave and mouth back, "she's strapped on". "Idiot!" they would say.

It will be way easier now on the Ultra when my one year old son is a bit older. Course his Mama looks at me crossways any time I mention riding on the bike to him. Back in my daughter's first riding days I was a single Dad. No rules, just rights. She is very blasé about riding on the big bike - 11 now!. Usually reads her book on the way back and forth to school or swim team practice. Old hat for her. But her friends all look on with envy. She pretends she doesn't notice. Still have a lap belt though - in case she (or Mama) get sleepy back there.

TQ

Attachments

• Asia on Bike.jpg
    Asia on Bike.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 22
I have a girl of 10, she’s not to bad then a son of 11 he tries to turn me when we come to a corner then my eldest boy at 13 he’s a dream don’t know he is there half the time. So the youngest are deffo around the block, by the way Harley (UK) wouldn’t sell a helmet until the eldest was 13 they don’t agree with it

I have a 05 U/C and have taken my 5 year old granddaughter out on the hwy. a couple of times. She's as smart as they come and understood all the safety issues that I talked to her about. I have a driver's backrest and with the way the passenger seat is set up she was as safe as she could be on a motorcycle. She had her feet on top of the hard bags and loved every minute of each ride. She wears full leathers and has a helmet that fits her perfect. You only live once, live it as large as you can no matter what your age.

My youngest is now 10. When I had my previous bike, Yamaha V-Star, she was 8 didn't want anything to do with riding it. I've had my Road king for a week now and she's asked if she could ride with me. We were all set to go to Target to get her friend a birthday present. She put on the long pants, her moms motorcycle boots(she's almost as tall as her mom) and a leather jacket. It all fell apart when I went to put the helmet on her. She had just got her ears pierced and was afraid the helmet would pull her earrings out.

My 15 year old son loves to ride. He is the perfect rider and just sits back and enjoys the scenery. He rode with me quite a bit when I had the V-Star, I'm sure that will be the same on the Road King.

Dad used to take me when I was 5-6. I let him take my son, but I'm too green to feel comfortable taking ANY passenger. :) go with what is safe for you & the kiddos. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it.

I had my kids riding with me as young as 5 . I used an oversized weight lifter's belt that went around both of us. No way for the kids to fall off. Low speed and only around the town.

Most of my kids were riding small dirt bikes by the age of 5 anyway. Having them ride with me was a natural extension of that activity.

Back