free website stats program minimalising my electrics (relay regulator) | Harley Davidson Forums

minimalising my electrics (relay regulator)

Hi all, my first post and hopefully the first of many as I get going on my Harley.
Last year I bought a 1975 Harley IronHead 1000cc, It must have been imported from somewhere as the UK reg started in 1990. (I am not sure of the exact model as the V5 is rather vague)

Of interest to some and disgust to others I am modifying my perfectly good bike into a hard tail. I am now at the electrical point in the transformation and this is where I get stuck.

My question is... as I want to get rid of what electrics I can or at least make them smaller.. I have a large regulator full of relays.. can I get a solid state version? it seems rather over kill and want to replace it. Also I have a bank of circuit breakers, what can they be replaced with. I am guessing that since electrics have come along way since the 70's it is possible. And finally has anyone done this before that can give me any other pointers of what I can get rid of. I only want a charging system, head light and tail light (and obviously a spark)

Dying to get it finished for spring as I am missing the sound of it running!

Cheers to all that are reading

Jonnie

Welcome spackrackman, can you use a franks or other make reg that bolts on the end of the generator.

PolarizeGenerator.jpg

OMG...polarizing a 6V Generator & mechanical regulators...my have we come a long way or what...?!!! :laugh

thanks for that, looks like a good plan to me. I asume there are many different types. Any idea how I would make sure I get the right one. Are there any prefered suppliers that I can use for getting parts/help on purchasing the right one. USA places are fine as I dont mind shipping items over.

Oh and the circuit breakers? am i correct in thinking they are just fuses that cut out when there is an issue. That should not be hard to find something slightly smaller to replace. I am trying to understand the wiring diagram but I just know hat once I have taken out redundant wiring for my needs its either not going to start to not charge...
Oh well if you dont try.

Back