free website stats program mini apes.. | Harley Davidson Forums

mini apes..

JOEFASH

this is a two fold question i hope someone may have some insite that can help me...i want to put 12 inch apes on my 2013 superglide in hopes to help with the problem of my hands getting numb in my old age...lol does anyone know if this would help...secondly i know you have to change push pull cables, but how do you lengthen the switch wiring...appreciate any help with either or both questions....thanks ride safe:)

this is a two fold question i hope someone may have some insite that can help me...i want to put 12 inch apes on my 2013 superglide in hopes to help with the problem of my hands getting numb in my old age...lol does anyone know if this would help...secondly i know you have to change push pull cables, but how do you lengthen the switch wiring...appreciate any help with either or both questions....thanks ride safe:)

1st off have you tried to rotate the bars you have forward or backward and readjust lever position. And then ride for awhile. For some after going with apes they end up with shoulder and upper back problems...........

Also, sometimes numbness occurs b/c of how you're gripping the bars (i.e. tight vs. loose). Not that new bars won't also help your situation, try seeing if you're too tight vs. relaxed/loose while riding.

For the switch connections, 10" is probably max length for stock wiring (enough slack) so anything longer will require extension wiring (harness or solder). Some aftermarket places offer pre-wired bars too, which eliminates the headaches of pulling wires and troubleshooting issues/shorts. I believe LA Choppers and Hill Country Custom (HCC) Cycles offer pre-wired bar kits...good luck!

I don't think anyone will know the exact answer for this, every individual will differ.I see folks hanging onto apes and wonder,how can they be comfortable? But many are.My experience with mini apes is I like them,not because of how tall they are,but because of their length,I can adjust them to pull them closer to me.

I have Dyna Wide Glide "mini apes" (12") on my '92 Dyna. I used all original cables and wires, with only a little rerouting required. I don't know if it can be done on a 2013. I find the mini apes to be quite comfortable.

Would agree that everyone is different in the comfort dept. I installed a set of 10" mini-apes with 4" risers on my '04 sporty and rally found them to be quite comfortable. J&P cycles sells kits that gives extended cables and brake lines. The wires are just a matter of cutting and soldering in a short piece of wire if needed. Use heat shrink and stagger the connections so that they are not all in the same place. Good luck.

You could get the apes and controls from a 2013 Streetbob to fit your bike, the parts should all be available in the 2014 HD P and A catalog tho it will not be cheap. Another choice might be change your risers and grips

thanks one and all for your answers...will give it a try changing grips bars and so forth..nothing ventured nothing gained i guess....ride safe

I definitely find mini apes to be much more comfortable. I'm not super tall or anything, I stand at an even 6ft, but low/stock bars cause me to lean forward and downward more. with mini apes I can sit up comfortably, and my arms rest at an even height. I personally like them much more.

Back