free website stats program Miles Per Tank? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Miles Per Tank?

Hey Glazier
The question is if how the LED gets its signal - if it is only a replacement for the stock gauge itself, the signal will still come from your float. If that is the case, you will gain nothing (other than having a cooler wrong reading;).

But at least it will look cool sitting on the side of the highway with an empty tank :bigsmiley12: (just kidding)
You're right. Didn't think about that. But won't the new gauge come with a new float, or will I be using the existing one??? I guess either way the float will have to be adjusted for a correct reading.
Thanks.

It is an easy fix, and if you're having it out anyway you might as well adjust it. What I did was hold the float ass'y in position next to the tank to see where it bottomed out. Then I bent the rod making the float reach closer to the bottom of the tank.
A couple of iterations and it was good - the gauge needle now goes into red a bit before I have to switch over to reserve (old type), and empty is just about empty.

What I did was hold the float ass'y in position next to the tank to see where it bottomed out. Then I bent the rod making the float reach closer to the bottom of the tank.
A couple of iterations and it was good - the gauge needle now goes into red a bit before I have to switch over to reserve (old type), and empty is just about empty.

Karl, You did it the smart way. Now come on over and help me do mine. When my dopey gauge reads bone dry, I still have 1-1/4 gallons of usable fuel left in my tank.
Love the Bike, just hate the gauge. :)

Hoople

Not sure how the gauges on new bikes work - do they have the same float setup as mine (see picture in earlier post)?

I'd love to come over - those few times I've been across the pond, I've had a great time, meeting some great people (last time was in Ft. Lauderdale in 2007, when I 'mistakenly' booked my return tickets 4 days after my seminar ended, and Biketoberfest just happened to be going on up the coast;)

UPDATE
Well I have about 120 miles on this tank and the guage reads almost 1/2. Easy riding due to the freezing cold commute to work the last couple of days, but still seems like I will need gas at like 180 as most folks have said.

Light came on during the ride home last evening. 165 miles. Guage still reads almost a quarter, but will get gas next time out.

My 05 softail has been avaraging 34 but thats alot of short trips around town. Haven't had time to get out for any decent trips.

06 Deuce/Propipe/SE air cleaner/PCIII

If I'm riding the super slab I get 40-42mph. If I'm loafing around the back roads just cruisin' and enjoying the day then it goes up to about 48mph. The most I've ever managed was 180 miles but it was pretty much on fumes. I don't remember how much gas it took, but I do remember thinking that I was only a few miles from pushing.

'05 Softtail. I use my trip odometer and when I reach 130 miles I fill up and it takes about 3.5 gal which means I have 1.5 gal reserve, at which point the low fuel light will illuminate. The gauge is whacky. After running out and pushing I ignore the gauge.

I rely on trip odometer, and if riding around town, fill-up around 150. A nice country rides becomes a little less relaxing when the gauge is getting low and your not exactly sure how far until next gas station....

Back