free website stats program miles on tires | Harley Davidson Forums

miles on tires

harleybiker

About (approx) how many miles do you put on you tires. I have over 8,000 miles and the tread still looks pretty good. Thanks

hb

About (approx) how many miles do you put on you tires. I have over 8,000 miles and the tread still looks pretty good. Thanks

hb

there are few "hard and fast" fact about tire life on a bike. Throttle position, engine braking,road conditions,and ambient temps all play a part, as does tire construction.

I ride often in the NC heat... over rough as a cobb roadways. I tend to "gear and steer" through curves, and often engine brake.... with me Dunlop Elite-3's I average 12-13k, on the OEM D-402's, amd the Metzler M880, I averaged 8500.

The "new" dual compound D-407, and American Elites, (for 2009 and later bikes) are supposed to last far longer. However there was a bit of a problem with the first batch of D-407... which seems to have been corrected

Remember, it's not JUST the miles on the tire that determine when it should be replaced. Keep an eye out for tiny cracks, sometimes in the tread groove and hard to see, as the tire ages. You might want to consider a replacement if you see too many of these, regardless of mileage.

99 road king with dunlop 402s I have 10,000 on rear and still could go maybe 2,000 more, very happy with these tires.,

I have just under 17000 on my OE rear tire and it's due to be changed. Front was replaced under warranty around 7k for cupping. Too bad the replacement is also cupping.

If I could find a road where I could only drive in circles, I could do another 6k on the rear:D.

On my original Michelin Scorchers I got 11k. They were not quite down to the wear bars (bars are set at 2/32) but I play it safe because I commute on mine and have to be prepared for riding in heavy rain. If I used my bike more for pleasure riding on weekends only and can chose the sunny days I would have pushed them for another couple thousand. From what I have read on this site you can expect to get between 8k and 15k.......you just have to keep your eye on them when you do your pre trips to know what you have left for tread.

Back