free website stats program Mileage question | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Mileage question

If you want to have long engine life, never lug the engine. Allow at least a short warm up period so the pistons don't seize to the cylinder walls if you do a hard acceleration. When your cylinders feel hot to the touch, only then can you throttle hard. Change the oil on schedule. Keep the air cleaner clean. Plan your trips so that you have less cold starts. Engine wear is accelerated with a cold engine. Don't make a habit of overspeeding the engine. Connecting rods bend because of over speeding due to centrifugal force stress. If you live in a humid climate, ride your bike often to prevent rust inside the cylinders. Don't park the bike unless the engine ran good and hot to evaporate moisture that accumulated in the oil during the warm up.

Hello

All I can say to add to all the great advice is I just purchased a used 03 Road King Classic with 20600 miles on it. I think for me buying from a reliable dealer helps, I trust this dealer as this is the third bike I have purchased from them. I also get the extended warranty and wheel and tires. This is a personal choice as some people are for it and others think it is a waste of money. I to have the same concerns as you buying new, once I started home the smile came on my face and the hair stood up on the back of my neck knew I was on the bile of my dreams. As to buying a used bike be careful but don’t let it scare you off.

Jesse

Back