Mileage on 200 tire

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by dadoubleren, Mar 10, 2009.

1. dadoubleren

dadoubleren Member

I have a 09 Fatboy and had to get a new rear tire after 5K. Any suggestions for longer life or anyone else had to change theirs after 5k.

2. Fatboy07NH

Fatboy07NH Banned

07 Fatboy, I replaced mine at 15,000.. Probably shoud of changed it at 13,000. However I do a great deal of highway riding.

3. dadoubleren

dadoubleren Member

It just doesnt make sense why I had to change that tire! Ii am religious about tire pressure! is that 15k on the OE tire!!

4. WHM1

WHM1 Junior Member

I also have a 2007 Fatboy... 8,500 on the 1st one and and about 11,500 on thwe 2nd one... second one had many more road miles.. highway trips.

5. jonny oz

jonny oz Member

I had roughly 10K miles on my 06 night train when I changed it. probably should have changed it before that, it had quite a flat band in the middle. 5K sounds really low though - do you ride really hard all the time? Or 2 up most of the time?

6. Fatboy07NH

Fatboy07NH Banned

Yes that was the OE tire. Like I said I do a lot of higway miles and very seldom do I ride 2 up. Let's see how long the new set last. The new one is not an oe but it's still a dunlop.

7. dadoubleren

dadoubleren Member

I dont feel as if I ride hard but I dont know for sure!!No burnouts or fast take offs unless needed! Iam just checking pressures everytime instead of every other now! Seldom 2 up too!

8. Davidw2415

Davidw2415 Senior Member

I,ve got just over 7500 on my 06 Fatboy and both tires are stillin prety good shape.

9. Fatboy 07

Fatboy 07 Member

dadoubleren, I have a 2007 Fatboy and also got only 5K miles on my OEM rear tire before changing. Same as you, I was a little miffed about what I thought was pretty low mileage so I e-mailed Dunlop requesting some comments and ask if they planned to make changes to increase mileage in the future.

Their reply in a few days stated that the life expectancy of the 200mm tires is between 5K and 8K depending on the individuals riding stile and tire pressure maintenance.

I live in Oregon and most all my riding is on asphalt roads (rather course) and very little if any on concrete freeways. I think this has a lot to do with my low mileage. Basically the tire compound is a little softer than the smaller tires such as the touring bikes have.

10. dadoubleren

dadoubleren Member

Yeah I am glad to know it wasnt just me! I am just checking tire pressure every ride now! They sure sont tell you that you need new tires wevery 5k when you buy it! But I love it so whatever.