mikey47 W/carb problem

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by mikey47, Sep 5, 2013.

1. mikey47

mikey47 New Member

anybody have a rough rule of thumb for variance between the pilot jet and the main jet on a keihin 46mm butterfly carb. above 2000 the engine is fantastic. below that it's an entirely different story. it was fine until a carb cleaning and while the carb was apart on the work bench, my granddaughter decided to clean the work area by putting all the jets, O-rings and screws back into my assortment boxes. I just can't seem to get the pilot jetting right.

2. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Any mods to the motor? AC, exhaust, cams, head work?

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Welcome to The Forum, have a look here Harley Davidson Forums There is more info in the self help section under carbs:s

4. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

Jack has you covered pretty well in the above link. If you removed the Idle Mixture Screw make sure that the proper o-ring and washer are back on it. They are easy to LOOSE. Don't ask how I know this(lol).
    tourbox

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

:p Very good advice, been there too, if you need to go more than 2 1/2 turns out Be Careful and or re jet:s

6. glazier

glazier Junior Member

and if you think you've lost the O-ring, check the hole in the carb to make sure it didn't come off the mixture screw and get stuck in there.
    don't ask how I know this either :D