free website stats program Mighty Hauler MC Carrier | Harley Davidson Forums

Mighty Hauler MC Carrier

ironmark

I was looking @ different ways to haul my RG behind my 5th wheel RV & this carrier spark some interest Welcome to Mighty Hauler! . It will attach to the 2" reciever that is on the back of the 5th wheel or pickup truck & it can carry up to 1000lb . I would like to know if anyone has or knows someone that has one of these carriers & what they think about the carrier .

I was looking @ different ways to haul my RG behind my 5th wheel RV & this carrier spark some interest Welcome to Mighty Hauler! . It will attach to the 2" reciever that is on the back of the 5th wheel or pickup truck & it can carry up to 1000lb . I would like to know if anyone has or knows someone that has one of these carriers & what they think about the carrier .

I would be curious how the front end/steering would be affected with 800 lbs sticking out that far behind the rear wheels.....:rider

Given a choice, I do not tow, but ride the bike. However, when the wife wants to come along, the 5th wheel is a necessity since she does not ride. That is a problem that I am working on, but not holding my breath.

Based on my experience, I would not recommend this type of hauler for a 5th wheel and a heavy bike (> 500 pounds). It places way too much stress on the frame, and reduces your pin weight to the point that sway starts to become an issue. In its place, I would recommend a SmartTrailer, or something similar that places a good portion of the weight on the bike trailer tires. This link is to the SmartTrailer website. Single Swivel Wheel Trailer

I bought a SL200 model over a year ago. Had a hitch made for my 5th wheel, and have put about 10,000 miles on it so far. It works like a champ, can not jack knife, but you need to be aware of the added length as it makes you swing wider than normal. I use it for my Street Bob, and it fits well. My Ultra is a tad too long right now due to the tour pak, the loading ramp hits it when folded up. Need to modify a little bit to accomodate the extra length. Other models will not have this problem.

One item to be aware of. If you are towing with the bike crosswise to the path of travel, tie down becomes critical. The forward and backward shaking (sideways on the bike) due to bumps in the road will really get the bike moving, and you need to tie it down tightly. My first trip, the wheel chock bent the front wheel because of this.

I have a used single wheel trailer for sale that I built for a customer,it has gone to texas a couple times and has a Bike -Pro wheel chock,all tie down hardware and a mini-winch for those who don't want to ride up the ramp.
Asking $1,400. US or best offer.

I passed one of these about a week ago on the highway. I actually drove about a mile beside the guy taking looks at it. I thought to my self, "Man, I'm glad thats not my bike on that thing!"
However, this guy was from 2 states away and was just a motoring down the road.

I am still thinking about getting a regular trailer for the bike . The mighty hauler may be better as far as backing up is concerned . I use to have a 30 ft travel trailer that I hauled behind my Dodge diesel pickup truck & I would put the MC in the truck bed & I never had a steering problem & I would cruise 70-75 mph on the freeway . My 5th wheel has a very solid frame & I built & install the trailer hitch on the back of the 5th wheel , I used a 4x4x3/8 tube & I welded it 100% to the 5th wheel frame , also I can load the heavy items towards the front of the 5th wheel to help distribute the weight better . Here are some pics of the hitch that I built , the pics also shows the 5th wheel frame , the hitch is a heavy duty hitch the 4x4x3/8 tube is over 100lbs by itself .

Attachments

• S7300716.jpg
    S7300716.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 27
  • S7300717.jpg
    S7300717.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 26
  • S7300719.jpg
    S7300719.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 30
  • S7300720.jpg
    S7300720.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 26
  • S7300721.jpg
    S7300721.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 25
Your choice. When I investigateed these types of carriers last year, the recommended minimum frame size for the trailer was a 10" I-beam. Don't be surprised if you bend either your hitch or your frame. Good Luck

I would go with a 5x8 wedge nose enclosed trailer with an optional side door.The bike will fit in fine and with the side door you can get in to tie down.JMO

I tow double with my 5th wheel now, and I would recommend that over a bumper mounted rack. The bike is a big investment and I just couldn't see it hanging from the bumper, even if I could keep my pin weight within reason so that the rig would handle right. The trailer I tow is actually 20 feet long behind my 30 foot 5th wheel and I thought I would hate every minute of it. I got used to it in a hurry, and have even had to back up a few feet in a really tight spot. It's not nearly as bad as it sounds, and with an enclosed trailer as posted above, you don't have to worry about someone messing with your bike.

Back