free website stats program MicroTach, $150 well spent! | Harley Davidson Forums

MicroTach, $150 well spent!

Romain

After looking at all the various HD options for adding a tach to my 07 1200 Custom, a model for which there seem to be very limited options, I took the plunge and ordered a microTach from Speedway instruments.

Having a precise idea of what's going on in the engine has made my riding experience even more enjoyable.

I was a little concerned about the installation but it took less than an hour to install and it was really easy, if a little fiddly as there is not a lot of room to work behind the riser, the explanations were clear and the splice connectors really handy.

Fitted as it is on the brake fluid reservoir the display is easy to read and unobtrusive and it works great.

Attachments

• minitach:web.jpg
    minitach:web.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 138
With only 2 digits, does it only go to 99 RPM's? :lolrolling

No wonder I wasn't going very fast! :D

I haven't had a chance to test the accuracy properly but it reads between 1000 and 1100 on idle which I believe is the norm for injected Sporties.

I'll keep you posted on further results.

Romain, what Glider is saying is how does it register RPMs if digital rpm is 4-5 digits in length, but mini-tach appears to display only 2 digits? Does the actual rpm "scroll rapidly so you visually see 4 digits thru display "persistance"? Or does it change rapidly, kinda like the old "dare I say it--Nixie Tube Readouts w-a-a-y-y back in the day (yeah for those of us over 50 who remember the old glass tube type displays)...RichardS where are you when we need ya?

It displays two digits, you just multiply by 100. It limits the accuracy to the nearest 100rpm but I think that's good enough.

Yeah, I'm sure the two missing digits are so "busy" that you couldn't read them anyway. It is probably better to leave them off and keep the package small enough to fit on the reservour or anywhere else you like.

Actually, one of my pet peeves is that the MoCo doesn't just provide a tach function in the odometer display panel. The after-market is too lucrative, I guess.

That is a very cool little do-dad for any bike without a tach. What does it hook up to?

TQ

Back