free website stats program Microfiber cloth on hot exhaust | Harley Davidson Forums

Microfiber cloth on hot exhaust

Irish Hog

I was running the bike today and while she was running I was polishing her up a bit and dropped a microfiber cloth on the hot exhaust. It stuck on pretty good and I cannot get it off. It is hard as a rock, I used wd40 and some other stuff, but nothing is working. Any ideas??

I have done the same thing, only mine only touched the exhaust and melted the fiber and left a stain that was hard to remove. Some will say use oven cleaner, but what worked the best for me was to let the exhaust cool completely and then I used the HD cleaner to wet the area (pledge will probably work as well) and then I scraped it with the edge of either a nickel or a penny and the spot came off without scratching the chrome.

The nickel or penny is softer material than the chrome and will not scratch the chrome. It will come off rather slowly but kept moisten the area basically for lubrication and keep at it, it will come off.

Good luck!

black and decker paint striping gun or heat gun , cold pipes heat up the area then hard wood or soft wood scrap at the area will take a time to do just keeping working at it
plastic bag on mine got all off in the end

black and decker paint striping gun or heat gun , cold pipes heat up the area then hard wood or soft wood scrap at the area will take a time to do just keeping working at it
plastic bag on mine got all off in the end
I don't have a heat gun. This sounds like the way to go. It is like a microfiber cloth, but it is softer and a different material, but I guess it is all the same stuff. I have tried goo gone, nail polish remover and wd40 and it is just laughing at me. I guess it is off to buy a heat gun :small3d023:. Just what I felt like doing on the nicest day we have had since November

If you are headed out for a heat gun you might want to try a hairdryer first. A step up would be a propane torch but you have to watch the collateral damage. People also mention using 00 fine steel wool. Good luck with it in Cape May ?

You will find 101 other uses for a heat gun once you have one its really handy for warming up rubber hoses prior to pulling off or refitting etc
watch where you point it cos it can strip paint

Brian

I would try oven cleaner just make sure you do not get the over spray on paint or plastic. I have used oven cleaner on my pipes many times and has always worked. Good luck.

You might try tar & bug remover. I've had some good luck using it to get melted plastic off my pipes.

When I dropped a plastic flag on my exhaust I used Easy Off oven cleaner and It worked great. Make sure that you protect all the painted areas around then spray on, let stand over night and rinse off with cold water in the morning.

Cobra exhaust used to have an ad saying use Easy Off to clean melted things on their pipes.

Back