free website stats program Michelin Commander II | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Michelin Commander II

Who is the naysayer?.....could it be "the nitpicker"?:eek: Seriously though 40 bucks isn't that much, I've already saved thousands on labor costs on every thing else I've done..;)
And some have all the answers..........:p
Not counting the thousands you spent to make her sound and look pretty........:rolleyes:

The reason I like removing and installing the wheels myself is that way I know it is done right. If you know the guys in the shop or can watch them, then having them do it is way easier, but ...

Cheers,

TQ

And while doing so, you get to inspect all the other components associated. Drive belt, pulley, rear brake system, etc.

But if replacing wheel and tire for the first time without a experienced someone helping, and proper tools, most all of your attention is going to be just the job at hand and making sure it is done correctly and would probably not look at much else. Again possibly couple hours of the unknown, then making sure wheel and associated components are fitting correctly with the concern of if done correctly. Again with all the cash we spend on these bikes $40.00 is nothing in the greater scheme of things...... Like trying to save a couple bucks on good cheap oil. For some it makes no sense. Peace of mind is priceless......

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes we just have to start somewhere otherwise the bike would be back to the dealer for everything and yes we could ride our bikes but we would not know them well
I do all my own bike work but the car goes to the local dealer

Brian

Sometimes we just have to start somewhere otherwise the bike would be back to the dealer for everything and yes we could ride our bikes but we would not know them well
I do all my own bike work but the car goes to the local dealer

Brian

Amen Brian! Its really easy to just pay $X.XX and continue to do so. Thats what the dealer and the tire changers love. Got to learn and start somewhere. If I took my bike to the dealer or indy everytime it needed something, I would be broke and probably have a bike that needs more from them. The very premise that this place is about, encourage all to do it themselves and lend actual experience and info when you can.

Last edited:
Amen Brian! Its really easy to just pay $X.XX and continue to do so. Thats what the dealer and the tire changers love. Got to learn and start somewhere. If I took my bike to the dealer or indy everytime it needed something, I would be broke and probably have a bike that needs more from them. The very premise that this place is about, encourage all to do it themselves and lend actual experience and info when you can.
I have done everything to my bike so far.....cams, adjustable push rods, took heads off and sent in to port and bigger valves, took exhaust off several times, put new exhaust on, changed seats , put on high per. air cleaner, new heavy duty clutch spring, burly easy pull clutch kit....and on and on. So it's not like I take it in every time , as a matter of fact the only time I took it to dealer was for 1000 mile service. I also do all my own maintenance. I have been extremely encouraged by the members on this site to do the things I did and am very grateful for all the help. So I can honestly say that if I take the bike in for one tire change I will not fall into the trap of letting someone else do all my work.:p

It's a softail, much eaiser job than on a touring model. TQ gave the best reason; no one else cares as much about your bike as you do. I would be more worried about a problem post install if someone else did the whole job. If you have the service manual, real, follow instructions, get it done and save the $$$.

Just to add a wee bit more to the do it yourself way of thinking is that the sense of achievement at having completed a job for the first time is a great feeling that can spurn you on to other tasks

Brian

When I took my bike in for a new rear tire it was because I had no way of balancing the tire. Now I use dyna beads and am happy with the way they balance the tires.

I agree that if you do the work yourself you'll learn about your ride and have the job done RIGHT!

When the dealer did my first rear tire change they had the drive belt so tight that my floor boars were vibrating. I asked the tech to tighten the belt to the loose side of what Harley recommends. That must have ticked him off because he had the belt so tight there was really no deflection when I checked it. I had to loosen the belt when I got home and the vibrations were gone. Never been back to a dealer since.

Back