free website stats program Michelin commander II | Harley Davidson Forums

Michelin commander II

Mongo1958

I was lazy. I did not want to install my Michelin Commander II. I would have had to clean my wife's clutter out of the garage to get to my lift and tire changing machine. So for $64 I had the Michelin II installed. I also had a new set of rear break pads installed as well (17 k out of the last set, not bad). As I was purchasing the break pads I asked about the mic/headset port cover on the gas tank. It was looking kind of shabby. The spring loaded covers were only $5 so I got 2 of them along with the break pads. The total bill for installing the pads and tire was just under $100 (labor only). Not too bad I guess. I installed the headset port covers myself.

The ride home was great. Time and miles will be the test of this tire. Michelin claims that it will last twice as long as a Metzler tire. Hmm....big deal. A Metzler won't last much longer than 4k.
Anyway, I still wanted to try this tire. This will be the 3rd different tire that I've tried on the ultra. The Dunlop American Elite did not last as long as I had hoped it would. If I only get 8 or 9k out of it then I will go back to the OEM Dunlop.
WAP.gif

The key to longevity of the rear tire is in direct relationship to right wrist.:s
I never did like the ride and handling of a bike with 2 different type tires on bike. Hope it works out for you....

I've got 7,000+ on my Michelin II's , and they still look like new. No complaints, as I've stated in earlier posts. Key to longevity, IMO, is keeping the pressure at recommended psi, esp. riding 2-up.

Scott in IL-'08 FLHT (The Mistress)

The key to longevity of the rear tire is in direct relationship to right wrist.:s
I never did like the ride and handling of a bike with 2 different type tires on bike. Hope it works out for you....
I cruise at 80-90 mi/hr most of the time. I never had an issue with a different tire up front, however, it wont be long till I change the front. The main thing, for me, is to try out the Michelin Commander II. To see how it compares to the other tires that I have used...OEM Dunlop, American Elite Dunlop and now, the Michelin Commander II.
WAP.gif

I've got 7,000+ on my Michelin II's , and they still look like new. No complaints, as I've stated in earlier posts. Key to longevity, IMO, is keeping the pressure at recommended psi, esp. riding 2-up.

Scott in IL-'08 FLHT (The Mistress)
Far out!

I tried the Michelin Commander II this spring. Riding an '07 Ultra. Tires installed at 102,616. Currently have a little over 117,500 on the bike, so just a bit over 15,000 miles. About half of that was two up towing a trailer. The rear is getting close to being done. I had Dunlop Elite III previously, and the last rear tire went 23,000. I don't care for the Michelin's grip on hot tar snakes and I don't think it is going to equal the Elite III's mileage. I believe I will be going back to Dunlop for the next set.

I tried the Michelin Commander II this spring. Riding an '07 Ultra. Tires installed at 102,616. Currently have a little over 117,500 on the bike, so just a bit over 15,000 miles. About half of that was two up towing a trailer. The rear is getting close to being done. I had Dunlop Elite III previously, and the last rear tire went 23,000. I don't care for the Michelin's grip on hot tar snakes and I don't think it is going to equal the Elite III's mileage. I believe I will be going back to Dunlop for the next set.
Are you telling me that you gat more than 15k on the EIII's?
WAP.gif

Are you telling me that you gat more than 15k on the EIII's?
WAP.gif

Surprised me too. I had to double check my records because I have never done that good before. One of the guys I work with had been insisting he got similar mileage with his and I kept saying he was crazy. MC tires just don't last that long. I guess I will have to wear out another set to see if this is for real.

Surprised me too. I had to double check my records because I have never done that good before. One of the guys I work with had been insisting he got similar mileage with his and I kept saying he was crazy. MC tires just don't last that long. I guess I will have to wear out another set to see if this is for real.
WAP.gif
I guess the EIII will be my next tire. Thanks

WAP.gif
I guess the EIII will be my next tire. Thanks

Hope it does as well for you. I should qualify the mileage in that I used every bit of tire wear available. Cords were showing in two or three spots when it came off. I clearly rode that tire too far.

Back