free website stats program mich commander 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

mich commander 2

whacko

Well I just ordered the michelin commander 2's for my 2010 superglide custom. Lots of word on the 'net right now that a study showed they get 2x the mileage of dunlop and metzler. That will remain to be seen as the summer goes on as the tires were just released for sale this spring. My story is my bike had michelin scorchers stock.....11k out of the front and rear.....they were still above the wear indicators but i don't push it wanted new. Put K591 dunlops on as replacement......at 8k now and they are about done! I've been told the k591 is a better handling tire and thats why they don't last as long.....stickier rubber and all. But I don't ride hard enough to test the handling......daily commuter and weekend tripper and don't ride like my hair is on fire.......scorchers and k591s felt the same to me. I chose the mich commander 2's this time because they advertise long mileage with no loss in handling or wet weather grip. We'll see........they are being shipped and will arrive when I get back from my trip to rolling thunder and I'll swap em out.

Anyone running commander 2's already that have some words of wisdom for me.......are they any good?

I don't know about double the mileage, but I've heard some really good things on them as well. Got to visit at length with a Michelin rep this past weekend at the Texas HOG Rally. After talking with him, I will definitely be giving the Commander II a try on my Street Glide. What most impressed me was the tread pattern and how its designed to disperse water. It's very different than other cruiser/touring tires.

I'm currently running the original Commander on there, and the rep was surprised I had them. Apparently, I must have got some of the last ones made. I've really liked the ride and handling of them over the OEM Dunlops, so if the Commader IIs are as big an improvemen as they sound, they should be pretty awesome.

Let us know how they are after you've got a few miles on them.

Yeah I don't know about double the mileage either I'll believe that when I see it for myself....but I'm going to give it a try. I can't say the k591 dunlops were junk........just not for my riding style......if you commute and don't ride hard stay away from the k591.......you'll get many more miles out of a michelon scorher or hopefully the commander2

I have the Commander 2 on the front of my Heritage w/about 800 miles on her... so far so good. Handles good, is good in the rain, and has shown very little wear... The whiskers stayed on for the 1st 200 miles. I think you'll like it. The next rear tire will certainly be a Commander 2.

put a set of these on my 08 fatboy and just back from a trip to yosemite national park, way better than the dunslops,( whoops a meant dunlops) i had on before the trip. got about 500 miles on them and they stick really well. but will see about the milage.

Running MIchelin Commanders on my bike now. Had them on for about 10k..plenty of life left in the front.
What can I say abou tthem? They're round and hold air which is all I need out of a tire. I'm not sensitive enough to really notice a diffenece between them and the stock Dunlops they replaced. I will say they are noisier then the Dunlops. Not sayng that's bad, just a fact.

Twice the wear... under test conditions... performed by Michilen
That being said.... I mounted a pair on my 2005 FLTR 3000 miles ago. Look great, and feel great...
After 3k they look brand new, but I'd expect that from any tire.

3-5 k seems to be the rule at this time... They are just too new and winter is barely over to get many high mile reports.

I switched from Dunlop Elite-3's which I haver sweared by in the past. These tire are a bit more rounded in profile, and fall off into a curve better that the E-3's did. They are holding air well... I've checked the tire pressures, and they haven't dropped from my installed 41PSI

Thanks for the responses everyone! Yeah they are brand new to the market so not too many real world reports coming back yet. I'll be mounting mine in June after the rolling thunder trip I'm going on and have high hopes for them.......I'd be happy getting 14 - 15 k out of em as I have only got 11k out of the scorchers and about 8k out of the dunlop k591. We'll see what happens.......hope to see more reports form guys with over 10k on em soon to see what they think!

So it is long enough to get some reports on the tread life of Commander 2 tires. Also anyone running them with laced wheels which (EDIT) require an inner tube. So come on guys give us some mileage reports. Being October I need tires.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 10,000 miles on mine now and still love them and I believe I can get 20,000 miles out of the rear and way more out of front. Love these tires.

Back