free website stats program Mice in the engines. | Harley Davidson Forums

Mice in the engines.

Jim B.

I live at the edge of a 5000 acre wild land preserve and mice are a problem for me and my neighbors. The mice seem to like the wiring in motors. So far, they have stayed away from my 09 Road Glide and my 05 Gold Wing, but they have gotten into the engines in my wife's van and my car. The bikes are parked in the garage and the cars are outside. I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to solve the problem. It's getting expensive replacing wiring harnesses. Thanks.

I also live in an isolated rural environment 5 houses surrounded by fields
in the winter after the harvest the mice seemed to migrate into the wall spaces and attics of the houses
did some damage to the household wiring made a nest inside my helmet using the helmet lining as bedding
sourced a kitten from a farm traditionally on farms in this part of Scotland dogs and cats are fed with Brose oatmeal and water it keeps them alive and they can get meat by catching and eating the farm vermin
now on my second cat this one is even better than the first she can catch & kill rats and rabbits as well as mice and voles

Brian

I dont know if it would work but how about one of those electronic pest control thing that you see on TV , they plug in the wall socket , you could run a extension cord to the car or you could get a bunch of cats & dont feed them :bigsmiley14:.

I agree, a couple of cats is the way to go.

Try to get from a farm though, better genes.. I have a cat who always looks interested,
but he cant catch a cold, never mind a mouse :)

Cats seem to be the weapon of choice, but I have 5 dogs. Haven't been able to teach them to catch mice or the occasional rat.

The electronic devices might work, I have one in my garage and it seems to have worked. I'm not sure how they work in open spaces like my driveway.

Any other ideas?

I lay out those sheets that are used to soften clothes in a dryer in my trailer near the places the pipes and electrical go through the floor and they have a smell mice and ants do not like. It works really well, since I heard of that trick, I have not had any issue with anything getting in my trailer while stored for long lengths of time between usage. They smell Ok too. I use the ones called Bounce.
You could put some on the bikes and that should do it for your situation too.

Keep in mind here --- if I read the post right --- the vehicles in question are parked OUTSIDE in the driveway !!!????

Back