free website stats program Metzler tires??????????????? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Metzler tires???????????????

my first rear change went to an 880, liked it ok but after about a k noticed a flat spot in the center, seemed like it was wearing in the middle faster, anyway, i picked up a screw and replaced the tire for a Dunlop and i like it better. the Dunlop was about 30 bucks cheaper at motorcycle superstore

harley@16,
I was always got ribbed about the centers wearing out Sooner than they should...By the 880 metzler Sales Guy ,,,, ribbing me always saying " YOU needed to find More Curves and Corners, Keep Off the STRAIGHT roads. :newsmile01:

signed....BUBBIE

I think I will stay with my dunlops front D408 rear D407.

I got 26000 out of the rear and I have 30000 on the front and its still going. I just ordered a new on to replace it befor the hot weather sets in out here in Nv. My dealer said that was not possible, but I said you sold me the bike go check the milage now and see for your self. :shock

I have Metzler tires 880 on an other bike and I am getting more miles, but they seem to ride harder that the Dunlop tires. Different than what I am reading here.

I think I will stay with my dunlops front D408 rear D407.

I got 26000 out of the rear and I have 30000 on the front and its still going. I just ordered a new on to replace it befor the hot weather sets in out here in Nv. My dealer said that was not possible, but I said you sold me the bike go check the milage now and see for your self. :shock
Well, I don't know about the front one yet? Lots of rubber left, it is a little bumpy on the braking tho'.

It looks like I'll match your back tire mileage easily on my 09 FLHR with 20,000 on it now..

I too am surprised by the wear I'm getting out of the 09 Stock ones...

signed....BUBBIE

Had Metzlers on my FXDX when I bought it ( used ) and have no clue how long they'd been on . I put 17,000 rode it like ya stole it miles on it and traded it in on my Ultra Classic .Have 12,000 on those and still look good. I thought I was going to put Metzlers on after these burned off ,but don't know now ,the Dunlops are wearing better than expected.

took dunlops off the rkp and put on metzler 880. probably would have kept dunlops but they won't sell bead retention tires to civilians. not rated 2 up. currently have over 16k on front. had 12k on 2nd rear and a blow out. 2 flats bothon rear. have dunlops on ultra '10. 8k. will replace w/ metzlers at time when rear shows it. not impressed w/ dual compund tires. check metzler site. they recommend 2# higher a/p. i run 42 r and 38 f all the time, single or 2 up.

harley@16,
I was always got ribbed about the centers wearing out Sooner than they should...By the 880 metzler Sales Guy ,,,, ribbing me always saying " YOU needed to find More Curves and Corners, Keep Off the STRAIGHT roads. :newsmile01:

signed....BUBBIE

funny, i thought the same thing, i couldn't find enough corners!

In another thread it was pointed out that Metzler's have 2 ply side walls.
The Dunlop is 4 ply, important when you get a flat at 65mph, I know.
As far as tread wear I get about 12k out of the rear and 15 to 18k on the front with the Dunlops. I have never used any other brand.
Last the Dunlop is made in the USA,thats important to me!
After hearing what you and Smitty had to say I think I'LL STICK WITH MY DUNLOPS. Thanks! :s

Are the Dunlop Elite 3 not competitive with this Metzler? I was surprised not to see anyone mention them. Only 500 miles so far on mine on an 08 Road King, but so far, so good.

Back