free website stats program Method to remove filter without spillage | Harley Davidson Forums

Method to remove filter without spillage

BigG

Does anyone know a good tip or trick to remove the filter on a heritage without spilling oil onto the front of the engine block/

Does anyone know a good tip or trick to remove the filter on a heritage without spilling oil onto the front of the engine block/

Cut the bottom end of a liter soft drink bottle at a slant, tuck under the oil filter to act like a windage tray with a stopper on the end to hold and control oil drippings like a funnel.

Also recommend three finger type oil filter to remove slippery oil filter if you do not have flutes on end and matching end wrench. Also read up on Joys Oil Change. She does it right by doing the basics, preparation, sequence, follow good practices, do followup checks when completed and after road test.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/oil_related_tips/4756-joyflyin_does_a_service.html

Last edited:
oldie but goodie:
I've had excellent luck using an old turkey pan and cutting it up to fit under/around the bottom of the filter. Since those only come around once a year or so, I use just aluminum foil most of the time. Gets the oil out the left side of the bike no problem.
More importantly, I think, is after putting in whatever pan you use under the filter, I make 2 small openings in the end of the filter, either with the tip of a screwdriver or a sharp punch. One towards the bottom for oil to drain out and another near the top for air to get in. That way any oil in the filter gets drained out before you even remove the filter. Very clean and neat, and I like that!!!
Jer

Another oldie,cut a piece of cardboard shape it into a V and slide under filter and use a catch pan,then pitch the cardboard .

what i do: i take a quart of mobil 1 85w 140 gear oil,put 22 ounces of it in your transmision then take whats left throw it out but save the container,then cut the end out then split it in half up 2 the handel then it will fitt perfect around that pesky oil filter and keep it from spilling any oil all over the engine mount!

You can also take a punch and sharpen it to get the tip to be able to punch a hole in the filter and let the oil drain into the oil catch and into the drain pan. If the punch is sharp enough all you need is to lightly tap it to make the hole, while it drains work on the other items on the list of maint. Another idea if the punch and hammer doesn't sound good is to drill a 1/4 inch hole in the filter, both work and help keep the oil off the mount and away from the regulator.

Thanks for posting these tips. I like the one where you punch (or drill) a hole into the filter and then drain with an old drink bottle. I'm gonna try that next time!

I've tried a bunch of things (plastic bottle being the best) but no matter what I do I still have to spray the filter area (after the filter is on!) with brake clean. I'm kind of fussy that way!!:D

Back