free website stats program Metal Pinging Sound. | Harley Davidson Forums

Metal Pinging Sound.

08FXSTI

G'day all,

I am cruising around on an 08 FXSTI, not moded at all YET!!!, but i was wondering if the brains trust of this here forum may be able to enlighten me as to what a particular sound i hear every once and while may be, I would be scooting along doing about 80 kilometers and hour and when i kick it into 5th gear a sound like metal pinging happend???, This is definatly coming from the engine. Now this doesnt happen all the time and when i took it back to the dealer they couldnt replicate the sound,, got me stumped. I am not labouring the engine either,,

Any help would be good,

Johno

What you are probably hearing is pinging from a lean mixture and poor fuel. Use a high octane number and possibly add a fueler to the bike like the TFI to add some fuel which will also cool it down a bit too.

Don't count on the dealer replicating any problems you bring in, after the sale they loose their hearing.

EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - Motorcycle, ATV, Snowmobile, UTV

Many topics on the installation and discount link here.

Diagnostics and Fuel Injection Related - Harley Davidson Community

Are you Sure it's definitely coming from the engine???? I've heard that line from a few guys before only to find out it's a loose or broken exhaust mount or something like that. I'm not saying your wrong, just don't jump to conclusions on noises they can be pretty elusive riding 60 mph down the road.

G'day Wildspirit97
Didnt think about that, so checked it and all is good there, but hey thanks for the advice, gives me something to keep in mind down the track

Johno

I have the same problem, premium gas helps but it does not always solve the problem. mine is an 08 FLSTC. It sounds just like he said at first metal pinging and mine i can feel a little stubble if I do not put in premium gas. Mine is all stock as well.

I have the same problem, premium gas helps but it does not always solve the problem. mine is an 08 FLSTC. It sounds just like he said at first metal pinging and mine i can feel a little stubble if I do not put in premium gas. Mine is all stock as well.

Stock and hot, needs more fuel. Try a TFI and you'll be surprised.

EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection Controllers - Motorcycle, ATV, Snowmobile, UTV

Plenty more on the TFI here...

Diagnostics and Fuel Injection Related - Harley Davidson Community

Check the exhaust shields, tap them on each end with your fingers and listen for the tin rattle.

If so, loosen the clamp on the end that rattles pull the shield up slightly and put a bead of high temperature silicone (red) between the shield and the pipe then tighten the clamp.

Idle the bike for a minute to start the setting of the silicone and let it cool .

Al

:USA

:CONNECTICUT

Last edited:
Cool Heritage, not that its a good thing but glad i am not imagining whats happening.. I will look into all possible fixes....

Johno

MAte checked the shields, all seems to be well there, wish its was that simple, I am filler the hog tomorrow will go the 98 octane fuel see how i fair there...
thanks again

Johno

Last edited by a moderator:
Back