free website stats program Metal in Primary Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Metal in Primary Question

dbinbc

'09 EG, stage 1, everything else stock. 62,000 kilometres. I'm on my 3rd starter clutch and still get some grinding and crashing in the primary. I know I need to replace the ring gear because there is metal on the drain plug, and I need to replace the compensator. The local dealer told me that the metal in the primary fluid can get past 'the seal' and contaminate the transmission, and destroy the tranny bearings. I don't trust then at the best of times and I think they are just trying to take as much out of me as possible. Can anyone tell me if what they say is true or total lie.

Last edited by a moderator:
A SE compensator will help for sure. As far as metal on the drain plug you will have some fine stuff each oil change. Between the clutch and starter. If you get slivers or chunks, that's a different story.

I'm on my 3rd starter clutch and still get some grinding and crashing in the primary.

I'm curious. When you start the bike, do you start it with the tranny in Neutral or do you start it in gear with the clutch lever pulled in?

'09 EG, stage 1, everything else stock. 62,000 kilometres. I'm on my 3rd starter clutch and still get some grinding and crashing in the primary. I know I need to replace the ring gear because there is metal on the drain plug, and I need to replace the compensator. The local dealer told me that the metal in the primary fluid can get past 'the seal' and contaminate the transmission, and destroy the tranny bearings. I don't trust then at the best of times and I think they are just trying to take as much out of me as possible. Can anyone tell me if what they say is true or total lie.

:a:a That's a new one for me. At the least, I would stop frequenting that dealer. Outright lie.

Last edited:
I think you need to get your timing checked. You should not have had to replace that many starter clutches. Does it kick-back when you start it and it is hot?

The metal would have a hard time getting past the clutch let alone past the transmission seal, I would not worry that much about it. I would find out WHY the starter clutches keep going bad JMO

The metal would have a hard time getting past the clutch let alone past the transmission seal, I would not worry that much about it. I would find out WHY the starter clutches keep going bad JMO

My thoughts would be the compensator. An upgrade to a SE might fix his woes.

Back