free website stats program Metal in oil | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Metal in oil

I checked with the dealership and it's 1k to pull, ship and install. That brings it up 5k for the reman and ANY type of cam upgrade voids the year warranty. They wont upgrade the cam at the factory. So I've decided to do it myself. The weather is finally warming back up so I can pull it shortly and let you know what the damage was.

I'm going up to the 95" with '06 ported heads and a 37 cam with the hydraulic upgrade. I already have the gen 3 dobeck, full thunderheader exhaust and the SE intake. Anything else I should consider when I have it apart?

Any good links to self help articles on pulling the engine would be much appreciated. That way I can have the bottom end cleaned and mic'd at a local speed shop and do the rebuild in my living room/shop (great reason #127 to get a divorce, and counting...)

Any referrals to a shop in Atlanta would help be a big help too.

Thanks again for the help.

Support the transmission under the pan with a jack and block of wood before removing the 4 bolts that hold the tranny to the engine, you may need to twist the engine a bit to clear the dowels and remove engine from right side of frame

I will usually pull the heads & cylinders off first. Less weight when pulling just the block out and more move ability. That's with the entire primary off. Don't use the head studs to move or lift with, they can be bent.
tourbox

Heh, great tips. I sure would have used the studs...

I googled the weight of the engine and couldn't find it. Anyone know how much it weighs? just round about.

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble finding the parts for the cam chest. Herko's out of business and Andrews doesn't make their kit anymore.

Anyone know of a complete hydraulic kit that I can buy in one purchase? I'm worried I'll forget/not know of something important that I'll need.

Thanks

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble finding the parts for the cam chest. Herko's out of business and Andrews doesn't make their kit anymore.

Anyone know of a complete hydraulic kit that I can buy in one purchase? I'm worried I'll forget/not know of something important that I'll need.

Thanks

Check out BigAl66's album. He made an excellent presentation with a list at the end.

Harley Davidson Forums

I don't believe Andrews sells their kit anymore either. To my knowledge these kits had a lot of HD parts in them and HD stopped selling bulk and or parts to anyone but the dealerships awhile back. Hence no more nice "Herko" kits.

alex said:
Hi guys,

Thanks

If you want to convert to the later OEM cam plate, use the below list and order direct from a discound H-D dealer like Surdyke, Newcastle, Kutter, etc. I believe Kutter will ship free for orders more than $100.

However, I would either go gear drive or with one of the SE billet plate kits; a little more $$ but the later OEM cam plate runs the outer cam journals in the parent material of the plate which may be fine with some but not my cup of tea.

You can refer to the Andrews parts list for the additional hardware you would need to complete either of the above SE kits.

Thanks guys,

yeah, no one sells the kits anymore. talked to the dealer yesterday and they couldn't tell me all of the extras I'll need. Surdyke has some great deals 150 off the hydraulic kit.

I'm sending the bottom end in for the Timken change and that'll bring the tolerance in for a gear set. Arrrgh, so many choices and much more reading to do.

be back with you in a few weeks.

Thanks guys,
yeah, no one sells the kits anymore. talked to the dealer yesterday and they couldn't tell me all of the extras I'll need. Surdyke has some great deals 150 off the hydraulic kit.

I'm sending the bottom end in for the Timken change and that'll bring the tolerance in for a gear set. Arrrgh, so many choices and much more reading to do.

be back with you in a few weeks.

Alex,
Look at it this way. Could you have this much fun if you owned a BMW or a Honda?:bigsmiley20:

Back