free website stats program Metal in filings on the primary magnet? | Harley Davidson Forums

Metal in filings on the primary magnet?

67wizard

Today I was changing all the fluids in the bike and the last plug
to be pulled was the primary. I found a small amount of filings
on the magnet, should I be worried and have the shop look
into this as its under warranty yet. I have 35k miles on the
bike. I have been using mobile V-twin in the motor and redline
in the trans and Formula + in the primary. Changing to Spector
in the trans and primary today. Just had a 103 upgrade done at 30k.
Thanks

A small amount of filings in the primary is pretty much normal. If it is excessive then it may indicate a problem. With the chain and sprockets, you'll usually get some "fuzz' on the magnet in the primary at changes.

As usual, Glider is dead on with this one. I've had the bit of fuzz on every primary change I've done. Now, if you can't even see the magnet, then that might be cause for concern.

I think we all know what the dealer will say if you bring it in with this "problem!"

When the engine is running the primary chain is moving and meshing with the teeth on the sprockets the constant strain of the chin links against the sprocket teeth will produce tiny particles of metal which are captured by the oil then grabbed from the oil by the magnet it should be a fine fuzz if there are large particles of metal then take a closer look into the primary

Brian

If you hit the start instead of the run/stop switch to turn the engine off you're going to get a chip or two on the magnet.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

On the magnet was just a small amount of fine fuzz. I just don't remember it being on there before. Maybe its old age starting to show. Engine and trans were clean as a whistle. Went for a short ride and I think I am going to like Spectro six speed and the trans oil. I also put in 38ozs in the primary, I think the dealer only puts in one quart. Their are wrong I think, just trying to save money bby not opening another quart and adding the required amount.
Thanks guys

All things being equal, with moving parts you will have wear and tear, this is normal, If you have big slivers and noise you will have a problem:s

Also remember the clutch & steel plates are consumables as they wear the magnet is going to catch the residues.... Another good reason to change that fluid on schedule... :D

. I also put in 38ozs in the primary, I think the dealer only puts in one quart. Their are wrong I think, just trying to save money bby not opening another quart and adding the required amount.
Thanks guys

Thats a good point, I am surprised how dealers only rec 1 quart. I had that same conversation myself with parts counterman. Yes they are wrong...

I am surprised how dealers only rec 1 quart. I had that same conversation myself with parts counterman. Yes they are wrong...

I've always wondered about this, are they really opening a new container or is everything they use in bulk?

Back