free website stats program Metal fuzz on primary plug | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Metal fuzz on primary plug

Well TQuentin its funny you mentioned that I should clean the rotor next time I tear it down becuase it looks like that time is closer than I thought...I never cease to amaze myself how I can take a simple project and turn it into a pain in the rear!

This afternoon I went out to the garage to fill the primary with oil and button it up. Before I did I decided to make one last check of the primary chain to ensure that it was within spec. I have a cut piece of an old tape measure that I use to stick in there. As I reached in to do the check I dropped the tape and somehow it made it's way down below the clutch pack. There was no way to reach it so I ended up pulling the whole primary cover! I hate when I do stupid stuff like that because now I need to go get another gasket. At least it gave me the opportunity to give a good inspection of the primary. Thats life I guess...lol

On a side note if anybody knows an easy way to fit a tape measure or ruller in there I'm all ears. My Dyna used to have mid controls and still has the shifter shaft sticking out of the inspection cover. It really gets in the way when measuring the chain and it's rather difficult to get an accurate reading. I've seen the video of somebody doing it on a roadking but the inspection cover is completely different on my Dyna and it's just not that easy. Any ideas?

Try using something like a plastic straw that you mark with the desired clearance, fold over, place the vertical portion on the tensioner base and up to the bottom of the shoe. Check the clearance against the mark on the straw and adjust the shoe position as required. That way you won't lose anything inside the Primary again.

But while you have it apart, inspect the clutch pack to ensure the friction plates have enough "meat" left on them. If you are so inclined, you might pull the compensator, chain, clutch pack off and rotor off in order to inspect the stator and clean off the rotor magnets as much as possible.

TQ

If you pull the compensator, please remember to clean and dry all fastening surfaces, before reassembly. If I am not mistaken, what is needed for the compensator is Loctite Red. it will not stick if there is any oil where it is supposed to stick. You do not want that bolt to work back out.

Do not use an impact wrench to get the bolt loose. You can do damge you won't discover till later, and you won't like it.

Enjoy,
Rich P

red loctite will hold the compensator on very tight heating the compensator bolt with a gas torch will soften the loctite
then using a breaker bar with an extension should get it loose

Brian

The bike currently has 21,000 miles.

The compensator heat treating is surface only and not through hardening. The fuzz can be from grooving in the compensator ramps (a very likely place). When my bike had under 10K miles on it , I already could see grooving in the ramps which will produce a lot of fuzz on the magnet.

If it really has you wondering, just take of the primary cover off & take a close look at the ramps on the compensator. Once it breaks through the surface hardening, it will fuzz like crazy.

I own a 3/4" industrial electric drill that for some reason or another had just 1 gear inside the gearbox with improper poor heat treating. That gear lost most of it's teeth while the rest of the gearbox was like Brand New.

What I am saying is if the fuzz keeps growing from oil change to oil change, and you want to know the answer why,, the hardening on your spokes could just be bad and you shedding the soft metal underneath. Not a big thing to fix.

Well TQuentin its funny you mentioned that I should clean the rotor next time I tear it down becuase it looks like that time is closer than I thought...I never cease to amaze myself how I can take a simple project and turn it into a pain in the rear!

This afternoon I went out to the garage to fill the primary with oil and button it up. Before I did I decided to make one last check of the primary chain to ensure that it was within spec. I have a cut piece of an old tape measure that I use to stick in there. As I reached in to do the check I dropped the tape and somehow it made it's way down below the clutch pack. There was no way to reach it so I ended up pulling the whole primary cover! I hate when I do stupid stuff like that because now I need to go get another gasket. At least it gave me the opportunity to give a good inspection of the primary. Thats life I guess...lol

On a side note if anybody knows an easy way to fit a tape measure or ruller in there I'm all ears. My Dyna used to have mid controls and still has the shifter shaft sticking out of the inspection cover. It really gets in the way when measuring the chain and it's rather difficult to get an accurate reading. I've seen the video of somebody doing it on a roadking but the inspection cover is completely different on my Dyna and it's just not that easy. Any ideas?

:newsmile070: LEARN to do it By EYEBALL... Not that hard to do....

Relying on a Tape measure is tough in that area.. CLOSE is Close enough.. Loose is Bad and TOO Tight is also..

You'll get it. Practice:D

signed....BUBBIE

Back