free website stats program Metal fuzz on primary plug | Harley Davidson Forums

Metal fuzz on primary plug

Dswartz

I know all the drain plugs are magnetic and are meant to capture small pieces of metal. When I change the engine or trans oil I have never had any fuzz on the plugs at all. The primary on the other hand is another story. I have changed it twice and both times had quite a build up of fuzz on the end of the plug. Is this fairly normal or something to be concerned about? Could this mean an improperly adjusted chain? I've checked it and believe it is within spec. I run HD formula+ for lube.

Dswartz; there's a lot of "rubbing/grinding" going on in your primary/clutch case so there will be some metal shavings. Can you post-up a pic so we can see the amount & possibly determine what's filing away from metal color...??

What are you using for primary oil ?
chains and sprockets do wear and this wear will be in the form of tiny little particles of steel which will clump as a fuzz on the magnet but it depends on how much fuzz whether you are having more than normal wear or not

Brian

What are you using for primary oil ?
chains and sprockets do wear and this wear will be in the form of tiny little particles of steel which will clump as a fuzz on the magnet but it depends on how much fuzz whether you are having more than normal wear or not

Brian

All the above post are spot on..

Normal, "they all do it" are Not a words used on HDT very often... But within certain wear guidelines , it can be used here..:lolrolling

The Lube you use and frequency of change, and proper adjustment of primary chain AND clutch have a lot to do with stuff on or NOT on the magnetic plug..:D

signed....BUBBIE

The clutch, like your brakes are a consumable item. They are going to wear with time & the amount of stress you put on them. The magnetic plug is doing what it's suppose to do... capture the largest parts to keep them from floating around with the rest of the oil & grinding away at the other good parts of the disc. With the proper oil change interval & cleaning the plug at each oil change,(and not obusing your machine) your clutch will last many thousands of miles.

Thanks guys for all the replies. Unfortunately I already cleaned the plug and reinstalled it so I cant provide any pics. The bike currently has 21,000 miles. I bought the bike used with 13k on it. I had the dealer perform the first service immediately after purchase, and have changed all the fluids every 4k since.

From the replies it sounds like having fuzz on the plug is fairly normal. The sight of it on the plug worried me so I just wanted to check with you guys.

Thanks guys for all the replies. Unfortunately I already cleaned the plug and reinstalled it so I cant provide any pics. The bike currently has 21,000 miles. I bought the bike used with 13k on it. I had the dealer perform the first service immediately after purchase, and have changed all the fluids every 4k since.

From the replies it sounds like having fuzz on the plug is fairly normal. The sight of it on the plug worried me so I just wanted to check with you guys.

You are going to experience wear on the steel plates that make up the clutch pack as well as on the chain and sprocket. Reality is that you have a bunch of magnets in your primary than just the drain plug. Your rotor has a bunch of powerful magnets that suck the ferrous material out of the fluid. So if you have a reason to get into the Primary and remove the compensator, chain and clutch basket, it is worth pulling the rotor off to check the condition of the stator and clean as much metal off the rotor magnets as you can.

TQ

Back