free website stats program Messed Up... Now how bad was it? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Messed Up... Now how bad was it?

Okay, here goes again...
2,500 miles ago I thought I changed my oil (Pretty sure I did). Yesterday, I changed all three and added the correct fluids to the correct holes. While doing yesterdays service, I could not recall which plug I pulled for the oil 2,500 miles ago. I say I am pretty sure, because I am not 100% sure, but dang near it. I am more concerned why I forgot this in less than 3 months.:D

Now back to my question, what kind of damage would have been done if I had dropped the tranny oil, thinking it was the engine oil. From what I gathered, it would have be very quickly realized, and since it wasn't, I must not have done what I feared.

Sorry for the confusion, but I was freaking out a bit last night when I typed the first description.

Mobear, it is easy, used motor oil will be much darker than the light honey color going in...and 3 quarts would come out. Tranny oil or Primary oil will be about the same light honey color going in as what comes out only a lot less lube...approx. 1 qt each.

The Tranny oil will have a magnetic plug on it that would likely have a VERY tiny bit of metal filings, if you have had it in for any length of time beyond 5,000 miles.

The Primary would have NONE as the clutch friction discs do not slough off any magnetic bits, and the chain/sproket just would not have metal filings as they are basically burnishing each other bathed in lube.

Some guys choose to use Bel Ray or Spectrol in the tranny for the different color so there is no question. Primary lube needs only dino based stuff, so virtually ANY gear lube that has no friction modifiers to hurt the oil wetted clutch will be fine...hence Formula + or any decent gear oil 85/140 or such is fine. JMO...look in the Self Help section or the service manual to identify the plugs, so you do not repeat this problem.

Back