free website stats program Mesh jacket | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Mesh jacket

I'm probably the other extreme; I usually wear a denim vest over a cutoff T shirt, jeans, and, sometimes, boots. Boots if on a long ride or cold out. Was wearing a skid lid, but wife finally talked me into a half helmet. If cold, I layer up with jackets, sweatshirts, or whatever is on the side of the road.:p

Absolutely a matter of whatever makes you feel best and who cares what everyone else thinks. I wear either my leather jacket or an older HD mesh armored jacket 95% of the time. Kevlar (Draggin Jeans) pants or textile, mesh, armored pants a good many times, too.

I just returned from a couple days at Bike Week and got some pretty scornful looks from all the bad, Harley folks every time I put on my full face modular helmet. I could care less. I only wanted to bring one helmet and it came in real handy on the chilly, wet ride down on Saturday and the cold ride home this morning. Besides, I kind of like the way my chin and jawbone look now and wouldn't want either of them rearranged if I went down.

Absolutely a matter of whatever makes you feel best and who cares what everyone else thinks. I wear either my leather jacket or an older HD mesh armored jacket 95% of the time. Kevlar (Draggin Jeans) pants or textile, mesh, armored pants a good many times, too.

I just returned from a couple days at Bike Week and got some pretty scornful looks from all the bad, Harley folks every time I put on my full face modular helmet. I could care less. I only wanted to bring one helmet and it came in real handy on the chilly, wet ride down on Saturday and the cold ride home this morning. Besides, I kind of like the way my chin and jawbone look now and wouldn't want either of them rearranged if I went down.

I hear you on the big bad harley rider looks! I rode through Laconia last summer with my CE armor jacket and full face helmet and had many folks at the stop lights say something to me about "you don't need all that gear in NH"!! I just feel more comfortable with it on!

Glad to hear I am not the only HD rider wearing non HD protective gear!

can never be to protected....when i was in high school and had my old yama i wore chaps all the time in the summer (which was hot like texas) i would wear my shorts under my chaps. now i am looking at doing that again only with mess pants.

protection can never be compromised!

Currently wear H-D gear, always leather, but only recently picked up a Cortech textile jacket w/ kevlar & CE armour. It does look promising with 4 zip vents, quilted 3M thinsulate zip in liner...but do not have a lot of riding time on it to make a judgement call. Have to say, if makers can make armour "comfortable" it would probably be better received by the "everyday" street rider.

The benefits of it on the racetrack is undisputed...and mandatory along with the accepted material, leather. This is due to it's "random modulus" (random make up) i.e. it does not have a symetrical weave that can rip or run causing catastrophic failure when it contacts the road. Mixing kevlar and using perforated leather in protected inner vent/liners IS used on the racetrack currently, so trickle down technology is working its' way to us. Look at this related thread...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/general_off_topic/36377-best_fitting_jeans_for_you.html

Last edited:
Two questions for you gear nerds out there:
1. How many of you actually use armor jackets EVERY time you ride?
2. Do you use HD gear or go with another manufacturer like tourmaster, joe rocket, or cortech?

1 - I do

2 - Joe Rocket, Alpinestars, Dainese, Icon, Cortech

I could care less what other think about what I wearing. Let 'em make comments. The difference will be the results of a get off when your friends are wearing t-shirts and you are wear the correct protective equipment.

IMO, having raced for many years, HD protective equipment is overrated and overpriced. Just look at how many racers are wearing it compaired to Joe Rocket, Alpinestars, Dainese, Spidi and so on. That speaks volumes.

Have to say, if makers can make armour "comfortable" it would probably be better received by the "everyday" street rider.

I'll make a plug for Draggin' Jeans here - and no, I don't work for them or get a kickback!

I just wore them for the first time on the 440 mile trip to Daytona and back this week and I'm very impressed. Soft and comfortable like your favorite jeans. A bit heavier than regular jeans so I was getting a little warm walking around Destination Daytona in them on Sunday but not unbearable by any means. The kevlar lining probably isn't as good as actual CE armor but it's WAY better than a pair of Levi's or shorts! Since I'll only wear them on the bike, I ordered them 2 inches longer than my every day jeans so they wouldn't ride up over my ankles while seated on the bike. Then it's easy to roll them up a bit for walking around or putting rain pants over.

Yes, they're expensive ($100+) but what isn't when it comes to buying stuff for this wonderful hobby of ours?

IMO, having raced for many years, HD protective equipment is overrated and overpriced. .

THanks for that confirmation! I looked and looked at the HD "functional jackets" and they just do not compare at all to the tourmaster jacket I just purchased....and for $30 bucks less! HD only shows 2 mesh jackets in the catalog and I saw them both at the dealership......just not what I want for coverage! I'll be riding for the first time this season on saturday as I am picking up mine from dealer storage and can't wait to try out the new gear!

I wear one of those bright orange HD mesh jackets with the armor in the shoulders and elbows. Don't know if it's the orange jacket or my V&H pipes (probably a combo of both) but since I got that jacket no one has pulled out in front of me. I still wear non HD leather jacket when it's cold out and always boots and gloves and full face helmet. And...I don't care what other riders think or what they wear....I have a loving wife at home or on the bike with me.

I would consider a textile jacket if they weren't all Chinese. Its also why I dont buy any Harley clothes. All Chinese. Maybe Fox Creek should make a textile...........

Bodeen

My thoughts exactly. Does anyone know of a textile/mesh jacket made in the USA?

Back