Mesh exhaust gaskets

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by Irish Hog, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Irish Hog

Irish Hog Junior Member

I am changing exhaust today and I took off the old exhaust and found that the original mesh gaskets have basically melted into the housing. Should I scape this off or just leave it alone. I don't want to damage the head at all, I scraped a little and it seems like it is scraping at the metal and changing shape, I don't know how soft this is. Help!!

2. Irish Hog

Irish Hog Junior Member

There is nothing left to pull out!!. They have basically melted and have adhered to the head!!. My firtst thought was too just scrape it out, but I don't want to damage it. Should I just through the new gaskets in over the melted one's??

3. Irish Hog

Irish Hog Junior Member

It will take a few minutes to get pic up, but i will do it. It is definaltly melted in, no gasket came out and it has metal shards on the residue..

4. Irish Hog

Irish Hog Junior Member

here it is, it is tough to get a good shot

5. Irish Hog

Irish Hog Junior Member

I will give it a shot. Thanks..

I got em out!!

Now this is the first time I have done this so dont laugh. But the gaskets that came out are much wider than the new gaskets I got with the exhaust. Did they give me the wrong ones??.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2009
  6. Irish Hog

Irish Hog Junior Member

The new ones are alot thinner.

7. Irish Hog

Irish Hog Junior Member

Who would have ever thought you could send pictures overseas in a instant and get some adivse..:bigsmiley20:

Attached Files:

8. Irish Hog

Irish Hog Junior Member

Nah I don't hate you. I am glad you were on here, you have helped me a bunch. This is the reason I thought the gasket was melted or smashed in, because the new one was so thin.

Well I guess I am done for the night. Yet another trip back to HD tomorrow, for wrong parts again..:12:

Thanks Hobbit, I'll post the finished project tomorrow..Hopefully

9. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

the ones he posted are what hd gave me to real thin

10. wildspirit97

wildspirit97 Senior Member

to me it looks like the new ones are the screaming eagle exhaust gaskets instead of the Harley ones. If they are they will still work.