free website stats program melted rain pants on exhaust...? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

melted rain pants on exhaust...?

I recently attended one of the clinics on cleaning and maint. at the local dealer (always looking for ways to get out of the wife's dreaded to do list) and the subject of boot marks came up. The Sales Mgr. who was giving the clinic had a product called Road Rub that he recommended. It comes in a stick deoderant container and you extend the stick slightly and press the stck firmly against the chrome and rub. I used it on a boot mark and after rubbing for about 15 secs. the mark was gone with no damage to the chrome. I don't know how much rainsuit is on the chrome but this might work.

I used a gas torch to heat up the sticky stuff and scraped it off with a piece of soft wood
I later got a a frog togs heat resistant patch kit and stuck it on the wifes riding trousers so that it will not happen again

Brian

Best place on earth, bar none!! Thanks you guys and gals!!
Will try oven cleaner fiorst as I think we have some.

OK, here is the end result. I ultimately had to use both Goo gone and Oven cleaner. The substance became almost rock hard so it took a little elbow grease and persistance. I took some pics of before, during and after.

Attachments

• IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0190.jpg
    IMG_0190.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
After the Goo Gone softened it up a bit, I had to scrape pretty hard for a while to get it to come off. There was still a lot of residual spots that the Goo Gone didn't seem to take out, so came the Easy Off. The one pic is my shop helper, son and future rider Skyler. I actually had to let the Easy Off soak in over night before it started to work. Finished off with another dose of Goo gone and scraped, then polish with Mothers...Still a bit of a shadow to it but will buff more later.:small3d031:

Last edited:
After the Goo Gone softened it up a bit, I had to scrape pretty hard for a while to get it to come off. There was still a lot of residual spots that the Goo Gone didn't seem to take out, so came the Easy Off. The one pic is my shop helper, son and future rider Skyler. I actually had to let the Easy Off soak in over night before it started to work. Finished off with another dose of Goo gone and scraped, then polish with Mothers...Still a bit of a shadow to it but will buff more later.:small3d031:

That was quite a mess you had, good pics, it never hurts to warm up the pipes before using oven cleaner, perhaps the rest will come off...good luck!

It is all off now, just a discolored splotch in the chrome now but not very noticeable when the bike is shiny. going on a 4 day mens Retreat ride to Pasco Washington this week, woot!!

Back