free website stats program Medallion(s) Centers | Harley Davidson Forums

Medallion(s) Centers

schooner

Hey Guys (Still A Newbie) :newsmile077:

Need help with: How to CENTER those two nice looking tank medallions on my new painted tank.

Having the bike re-painted and its allmost DONE :breakdance

You'll see the old fuel tank with that 1985 tank medallion on it.
And the newly painted fuel tank ~ plus the two new tank medallions I
want to put on the tank. The medallions are STICK-ONS of course.

Problem: HOW WOULD I PUT THOSE NEW MEDALLIONS ON THE TANK EXACTLY WHERE THE OLD ONES WERE :wall ON BOTH SIDE OF COURSE.

Attachments

• NEW MEDALLIONS.jpg
    NEW MEDALLIONS.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 26
  • ORIG TANK EMBLEM.jpg
    ORIG TANK EMBLEM.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 28
  • NEW FUEL TANK PAINTED.jpg
    NEW FUEL TANK PAINTED.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 24
I'am no paint and body man , but I have made this mistake one time.. WAIT till you get the tank back on the bike before you stick them back on !!! and heres why... you stick them om while it's on the bench all nice and straight ,and you stand back and go man that looks good.. and your arm starts hurting from pating your self on the back cause it looks so good.. right... then you put put the tank on and its sitting at total differnt angel than it was when sitting on the bench and you new decals will crooked and you will bent out of shape too ....Done that before, just a thought.....

I'am no paint and body man , but I have made this mistake one time.. WAIT till you get the tank back on the bike before you stick them back on !!! and heres why... you stick them om while it's on the bench all nice and straight ,and you stand back and go man that looks good.. and your arm starts hurting from pating your self on the back cause it looks so good.. right... then you put put the tank on and its sitting at total differnt angel than it was when sitting on the bench and you new decals will crooked and you will bent out of shape too ....Done that before, just a thought.....

I did the exact same thing :(. It irritated me everytime I looked at the bike.
And, JMO the emblems on the solid blue tank look a little far forward, and too close to the pinstripe?

From the pictures of your emblems, it looks like they are curved to fit toward the front of the tank. They pretty much go where they fit. If so, with the paint scheme you are using they will always look like they are too far forward (like the pinstripe mentioned previously). If you're hard set on using orginal to model and year, then thats the way it is. I would use a longer emblem to extend it back on the tank and give it some balance. No matter what, find the center of the radius on the front of your grey color. Mark it, then determine the angle at the top of the grey. It looks straight on the bottom so a protractor would work. Draw a line from the radius center at that angle back as far as you need using an erasable white board marker. Or a line of masking tape. Fit one eblem to where you like it using your line on center. Measure from radius center to a point on your emblem. (front, back, a letter ?) Use this distance to duplicate on opposite side. Use masking tape to temporarly hold them in place to make sure you're good with the position. Once you stick 'em, they ain't movin'!!!

I aint got a clue just what you wanted to hear huh! :D Good luck, post pic's when you are done cus it will be sweet looking.

HD4ME!...you are a funny guy, I can't hear you texting either...whats up with that??!! :newsmile075:...maybe if I shout a little louder??!!

By the way, some of the logo medallions are made out of aluminum, so the curvature can be "modified" if you are so inclined...and that is why they use that foam doublestick tape for it's "forgiving" nature (but once you stick in on, you will have to cut it with fishline and redo)...so it pays to get it right the first time! :small3d007:

Yeah probbly wait till the tank is on the bike and then use some masking tape to mock it up first, try to get some measurements or reference points so both sides are the same. My biggest peeve are emblems in the wrong place or crooked. You see a lot of re-paints and the guy will put them too low etc.

Need help with: How to CENTER those two nice looking tank medallions on my new painted tank.

Having the bike re-painted and its almost DONE :breakdance

Problem: HOW WOULD I PUT THOSE NEW MEDALLIONS ON THE TANK EXACTLY WHERE THE OLD ONES WERE :wall ON BOTH SIDE OF COURSE.

Welcome to the HDTimeline forum Schooner and your first post. The prelim pix look great...and those medallions will be rather tricky, but there is good advice in this thread on doing it right. There are also optical lasers used in home construction that may be handy also. Snapping chalk lines may also be helpful.:57:

Having the bike re-painted and its allmost DONE :breakdance

1st of all. Mount the tank on your bike. Place a piece of 2X4 wood under the kickstand. This will help the scoot sit almost straight up. Go to a sign painter's outlet or a craft store that has "Low-tac masking tape" It's masking tape that is much wider than regular masking tape and the adhesive backing is low tac, meaning you'll be able to remove it and re apply it without damage to the paint. (Air Brush artists know of such low tac tape) With the low tac tape, or wide masking tape, if you cant find the other. Put it on the tank. Lay the emblem over it and trace it out on the tape. Remove the tracing from the tank and stick it to a plastic bottle or a flat piece of glass. You want to cut that stencil out. The plastic bottle or even glass allows for you to remove it again. Now with the tracing. You can place it where you want on the tank. Also, for reference points on both sides of the tank. You can make pencil or pen marks on the tape or use a grease pencil ( art stores have em) to mark the tank's surface. Where ever you place the stencil. make sure to look at it from every angle. It is tedious. But it'd worst to see the emblem crooked or even noted by an on looker.

Good luck with that, zoood

Back