free website stats program Measurements for Training/Obstacle Course | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Measurements for Training/Obstacle Course

Glide likes to intimidate us with his seemingly limitless knowledge, and his arcane ability to show folks doing things on their rides that just don't seem human!

I learning a new trick...keeping the rubber side down. Didn't get that right 35 years ago...hopefully I will this time around!

After an amazing torrential downpour and flooding right after I picked up my bike yesterday, it's finally turning sunny. As soon as the roads dry, I'm outta here! :D

I just took the MSF course in Ohio in July and did not pass. It was the first time I was ever on a bike. I thought I did ok all weekend but failed to pass the test. I scheduled to take the Ohio Motor Vehicle test for motorcycles last week and failed the cone test, it was different than what we did at MSF and I too would like to know if anyone has the measurements for that as well.
Good Luck and Ride Safe.
wise1

I just took the MSF course in Ohio in July and did not pass. It was the first time I was ever on a bike. I thought I did ok all weekend but failed to pass the test. I scheduled to take the Ohio Motor Vehicle test for motorcycles last week and failed the cone test, it was different than what we did at MSF and I too would like to know if anyone has the measurements for that as well.
Good Luck and Ride Safe.
wise1

Keep practicing. And, relax during the skills test. The worst riding that I did all weekend during my BRC was during the test. That was true for most of the riders in the course.

The site that DarkKnight suggested
( http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...torcycle-test/ )
has a pretty good layout. I just cut nine tennis balls in half to use for pylons tomorrow. (Cutting the tennis balls was harder than some of the skills in the rider test!)

The voice of experience speaking...all 80 miles of it on my new Sporty. :D Plan to substantially increase that tomorrow on a fresh fall day in the Northeast.

Can anyone point me to a set of measurements for an training/obstacle course? E.g., distance between cones and offsets for weaves, width/length of figure 8 boxes, swerve cone layout, etc.

Newbie rider with a new bike and an urge to learn!

Almost all civilian exercises are 12/24 feet.
There are a three things I would recommend to you.

First, buy a copy of the "Ride like a pro" dvd
http://ridelikeapro.com
This thing is loaded with riding tips, tricks and techniques.
Also the how-to for each of the exercises as well as the dimensions. I personally believe that every bike should come with a copy of this dvd. Train with this dvd!

Second, get a piece of 1/2" fiberglass rope 25 foot long and about 6-12 tennis balls. Cut the rope to 25' and lightly burn the ends with a lighter to seal them. Tie a knot in the center of the rope at 12'. Cut the tennis balls in half to use as cones.

Third, purchase some water heater insulation hose. (a 6' piece costs about a dollar) Secure this to your engine guards with duct tape or zip ties.

NOTE: If you do not have an engine guard, purchase one before you start exercises. If you do the the exercises tight you will drop your bike.

FYI - I must admit, I have dropped my bike practicing exercises. I have not even gotten a single scratch using the water heater hose.

I have found that alone I can setup an exercise in just moments, without a tape measure. I just pull the rope and place a cone. It's a no brainer.

I can pull the rope and...
Put cones every 12' for the slow cone weave.
Pull the rope in a square to make a 24' U-turn or box for circles or 24'x48' figure eight.
Pull the rope and put cones to make a 24' offset cone weave
You get the idea.

Start with these dimensions and then get "smaller".

I carry the rope and the cones in a zip lock freezer bag and I can put the bag in my saddlebags, bungee it on the luggage rack or passenger seat.

Watch the "Ride like a pro" video, and practice the exercises!
That RLAP video was the best money I spent on the bike!

Hope this helps.

http://motorcycleskills.blogspot.com

Back