free website stats program Me James | Harley Davidson Forums

Me James

jamez46

Well Hello, it s little scary going into a forum so that I don't say anything that would be un becoming in a forum not to create an issue with the rules., Well anyway I had or owned Harleys in the past such as an old 76 kicker, an 82 Old Iron sportster, an 883 XL and now an XL 1200 C which I purchased in 2013. Just recently the 2007 XL 1200 C has developed a starting issue that is really weird.
In that if I press the rocker switch from kill to run and then press start, nothing happens, and the battery is brand new, if I toggle the strarter switch back to kill, and then back to strart, and press start, it will start right up. I realize that a service manual would help greatly in ID-ing the kill switch and I'm only assuming its part number, So the question is has anyone run into this same issue and if indeed the kill switch is the issue? I'm thinking that even though the kill switch is toggled out of the kill position, that it isn't and won't allow it to start, what do you think?

Welcome! It's possible the contacts in the kill switch have some corrosion on the them. Have had this happen to me before. Most times working the switch will clear up the issue. You can call or go to your local dealer or parts source and they can provide you a replacement if needed.

A manual is a great investment. Get one.

Welcome from So. Texas. Your P/N is 71589-96B for the Run/Kill with the Start button. You may want to remove the switch housing assy. from the bars and spray the switch with some contact cleaner. I usually spray a small amount of light lube in the switch after the cleaner evaporates also.
tourbox

Welcome to The Forum, Tourbox is right on your part number
HD07XL058.gif

Glad to have you aboard! :ws:rider
From Central Florida.

Hi James - Welcome from Woodstock, Georgia, northwest of Atlanta!

:cheers

Be sure to take a few minutes to review the forum rules in the link below and your stay here will be long and pleasant!

Harley Davidson Forums

Back