free website stats program Maximum bulb wattage for spotlight | Harley Davidson Forums

Maximum bulb wattage for spotlight

maugusta1

2011 CVO Ultra Classic
What is the maximum safe wattage that can be used in stock spotlights. Existing bulb wattage is 25watts, would like to increase wattage without causing any problems. Bike is totally stock. O’Rielly auto parts sells a 55/60 watt 881 or 889, would this be to must additional wattage from the original bulbs. One bulb burned out so I am replacing both bulbs. Ride mostly daylight hours but the extra light at night would be appreciated. I want to just replace bulbs and not go to another type of spotlight. Thanks and Ride On

We fix a fair amount of cars that have gone to a higher wattage bulbs for headlights and it does Meltdown the headlight connector. You might check to see if there is a off-road style bulb, It may have close to the same wattage but the color of the light may be a brighter White.
For my truck I installed a off-road lamp that closely replicated the white Xenon lamp. The brightness and the more white light was very noticeable at dusk and at night the light worked much better.

Have a look at the attached copper wire current carrying capacity by AWG. You'll need to know what the wire gauge is of your wiring to the spots. I'd say that doubling your Watt loading would definitely overload your wiring and connections as any manufacturer is not going to put any heavier a wire than they'd need to keep costs in check.

To calculate your amperage Amps = Watts / Voltage

Attachments

• The AWG Table.docx
    21.3 KB · Views: 3
Back