free website stats program Max rpm | Harley Davidson Forums

Max rpm

FLIPBEL

happy holidays, i have a question. i have a 2009 egc with 1600 miles on it and i though it had no pickup power. i think this is because i am still babying it. i always check my rpm not to go over 4000 rpms on any given gear. well, the other day i think i did 4500 or 4600 rpms on it and that thing ran!!!

my question is what is the max rpm i can rev. up the engine on such a new bike w/o damaging anything on it.

thanks beforehand for your help.:small3d028::rider

Sure you will hear lots of opinions but I did not feel my engine really loosen up until I had 3500 miles on it. I was surprised. I kept mine under the 4500 RPM mark until it felt loose which was 3500 miles. I also did frequent oil changes until that time.

I would follow your owners manual as far as break-in mileage and rpm, me personally, 500 miles and then I ride it hard, I don't mean that everytime I get on the bike I just beat the daylights out of it but I am not afraid to ride it and I like to push it. JMO.

1600 miles - no matter which technique you used, you're motor's already broken in!

what gets me as far as engine break in is concerned, is that each engine they assemble gets a dyno test at the factory. i saw it last night on a modern factory program... so if engine break in is immediate, the run em up to max as soon as they are built.

Wind it up hard thru the gears. You are not gonna hurt anything, and then you will know what it feels like when you hit the rev. limiter. Ride home with that grin on yer face.

Ride it like you stole it...You will do more damage lugging these motors than reving them...I ride with guy's that are in six gear by the time they get to 50-55 mph...I don't get into 5th until 60-65 just cruising....85-90 running hard...

rkrdr2, I am the same way, I only have a 5 spd. also, it is funny at how some people run their bikes with these 6 speeds, at least where I am at. A 6 spd. really in my opinion I do not need, for as many times as I get up to speeds where it would be really beneficial, not me, some people like to ride fast on the highway, I like to ride back roads with a lot of twisties, and run my bike slower but throwing it around the bends. Heck even when we ride as a group the fastest we go is 65mph.

Back