free website stats program mastertune | Harley Davidson Forums

mastertune

jlbeebe

Has anyone tried a mastertune? I have a powercomanderV on my bike and my hd dealer can't get my bike running right. I called the guy I bought it from he directed me to an indy he knows. Says this guy is the best. This guy tells me get rid of the powercommander and get a mastertune. The mastertune reads the 02 sensors. The powercommander does not. He explained how the PC gets around the 02 sensors. I really didn't get it. He says buy this, run thier program, then ride the bike with laptop still attached. This will create a second program. when done the two will combine to form a custom map to this bike. I don't know about all this stuff. I then called the guy I bought the bike from and he said buy it, this guy knows his stuff. The mastertune costs about 500.00 he said buy it and send my your PC and I will pay you for the Mastertune. Sounds like I won't be out anything. Just wondering if you guys have used mastertune and what you think of it.

I got a Mastertune after I did Stage1 and the bike wasn't running very good. Nobody was sure if they did a down load at the dealership so I lost faith in them. Went to another dealer, they put on the Mastertune, dynoed it and it's been running great the last 10000 miles.

Before you give up on the PCV I would suggest making sure everything else with the bike is working properly. The PCV is a great product and is what I am running on my 08 Heritage but it will not make a bike run properly if there are issues outside of its capabilities. The trick is making sure all is well with the rest of the bike and then finding the right map for your setup.

Changing to the Mastertune my not be a bad thing but it won't make it run any better if there are other issues.

What kind of running problems are you having? Have you tried contacting Power Commander to see if the map you are using is the correct one for your bike? You can usually look on there website and find a map that will work. There is also an Autotune available for the PCV which does use the O2 Sensors.

Not trying to bash the idea of using a Mastertune as I have ZERO experience with it, just throwing other options :D

I have no opinion one way or the other. If the PC will work,great I already have it. If it won't the mastertune won't cost me anything. I sent an email to dynojet, they gave me the number to a map they said will work for my setup.
I just don't know which way to go. If I try the PC I can just go to a dealer near me and have them download this map and see if it works. Don't know what that would cost. If I go with the mastertune it wont cost me anything. The indy will walk me through the setup. Just wondering what you guys think.

jl,

You can download the PCV software as well as all the maps available for your bike directly from the Power Commander website and download them to your bike yourself bypassing the need to pay someone else. If you cannot find one that matches your setup exactly, use the ones closest to your setup and see how they work.

You will not hurt anything by trying the different maps even if it is not an exact match. If it is a map problem chances are you can find a satisfactory one that will work. If it turns out you have a bad PCV maybe the Mastertune is the better choice.

Did the bike run well when you purchased it? If so, what has changed since then that may be a factor? Any recent mods done, etc. that may be part of the problem?

What is the setup on your bike and what map did Power Commander suggest you use?

Sorry for all the questions but inquiring minds (mine :D) wanna know.

The bike didn't run right when I bought it. The guy I bought it from said he thought it was the pipes I wanted on it. The map PC recomends is M15-004-110 I have a screamin eagle stage IV 103 kit. This has 10.5:1 pistons,110+ heads, SE260 cams, and a SE 58MM throttle body. Dealer says he can't figure this out. Thinks heads and throttle body are too big for a 103, and SE260 cams only give good power above 3500rpm. Most riding is 3500 rpm and below. I don't disagree with the rpm thing as I don't beat this bike. But the chart HD puts out on this build says low rps is still better than stock and top end is 110hp/105tq. This is way better than I am getting. I'm getting 52HP/85TQ @5000RPM

The bike didn't run right when I bought it. The guy I bought it from said he thought it was the pipes I wanted on it. The map PC recomends is M15-004-110 I have a screamin eagle stage IV 103 kit. This has 10.5:1 pistons,110+ heads, SE260 cams, and a SE 58MM throttle body. Dealer says he can't figure this out. Thinks heads and throttle body are too big for a 103, and SE260 cams only give good power above 3500rpm. Most riding is 3500 rpm and below. I don't disagree with the rpm thing as I don't beat this bike. But the chart HD puts out on this build says low rps is still better than stock and top end is 110hp/105tq. This is way better than I am getting. I'm getting 52HP/85TQ @5000RPM

Should have said 82hp/85tq

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone tried a mastertune? I have a powercomanderV on my bike and my hd dealer can't get my bike running right. I called the guy I bought it from he directed me to an indy he knows. Says this guy is the best. This guy tells me get rid of the powercommander and get a mastertune. The mastertune reads the 02 sensors. The powercommander does not. He explained how the PC gets around the 02 sensors. I really didn't get it. He says buy this, run thier program, then ride the bike with laptop still attached. This will create a second program. when done the two will combine to form a custom map to this bike. I don't know about all this stuff. I then called the guy I bought the bike from and he said buy it, this guy knows his stuff. The mastertune costs about 500.00 he said buy it and send my your PC and I will pay you for the Mastertune. Sounds like I won't be out anything. Just wondering if you guys have used mastertune and what you think of it.

Here are some more:

EFI Tuner Comparisons - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

I just caught up with your other post about your ongoing problem. You have a lot going on with this setup that I don't believe will be fixed with a simple map change or by changing to the Mastertune which is the reason for my first post about not giving up on the PCV but rather making sure everything else with the bike is working properly.

Sorry for coming to the party late but I do not have the experience with the amount of engine build you are dealing with to be of much help with this issue.

Good luck and keep us posted

Back