free website stats program Massive buffeting with new windshield | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Massive buffeting with new windshield

Ok, so today I did a bunch of experimenting. I used zip ties and rags (so I wouldn't scratch anything) and repositioned the windshield in all different positions. It looked kinda funny but at this point if any one said anything I might have done something stupid...to them...

Anyway, I could not get rid of the massive eye shaking buffeting at 60+mph. So, I think the only solution for me is to cut the windshield down about 6 inches and get my head free and clear. I found a guy who does this all time and does a factory good job, so I will be taking it down to him tomorrow.

I even tried it without a helmet (that just about ripped my head apart with the buffeting at 65mph) and a different helmet (helmet law here and also the speed limit in my neighborhood is 25mph). SO after breaking every law in my state, the low cut job will work for me, plus I think it will look cooler with a shorter shield on the Sportster.

I didn't try the lowers (to block under currents), but all the buffeting comes from the top of the shield anyway from all the testing I did.

When I replace the shield in a few years I will try the Recurve.

Thanks for all the tips!

I would cut it down, just not so far, as me being shorter than you, I still am fine with the shield 4" shorter than your standard size (when measured from the headlamp, mine is 14.3"...yours is 18.3" as a reference, I think 6" is going to be too much IMO...

Isn't this wild? When I first bought my FLHR at about 60 - 65 MPH I thought my teeth were going to rattle out of my mouth. I asked a guy at work to ride it to see if it was normal. He said it was from the wind buffeting my helmet. He was right of course. When I place my head down near the windshield my RK is smooth as glass.

I do notice a difference when I close my vents on my FG lowers, so this buffeting wind is probably coming from several locations on the bike.

It gets really windy (Santa Anna's) here in So Cal sometimes and without a windshield, it would be a tough ride. Sometimes It looks like my windshield is ready to break off from the wind. I did take it off once and that wasn't a fun ride at all.

I have an expensive ARAI helmet with a top "fin" on it and it doesn't do squat to the buffeting.

The more I ride on the freeway in the wind, the less I notice the head vibrations. I do keep my mouth open slightly unconsciously so my teeth are not wearing down to nubs. It keeps you from falling asleep!

I tried without a helmet, same buffeting. I have three different helmets too, all the same buffeting. I took the windshield down to get cut today. I think it will be good to have clean air on the head and the rest of my body shielded. It should help the shoulder pain when riding long distances anyway. I only need a windshield for the long rides and will not have it on the bike other than that.

nhk750-albums-my+harley-picture3387-harley_trimmed_windshield.jpg

Got the shield trimmed. Looks great, the guy did a perfect job. Going to test ride tomorrow.

Last edited:
Looks good, here is a pix of mine to show the shorter stock tinted HD QR fairing discussed earlier as a comparison...

DSCN0788-1.jpg

I went another 2 inches shorter, but I think it will be good. After all the testing I did, it seemed the air was cleaner that way. I guess I will find out tomorrow, couldnt ride today, was out whitewater kayaking all day.

I even tried it without a helmet (that just about ripped my head apart with the buffeting at 65mph) and a different helmet (helmet law here and also the speed limit in my neighborhood is 25mph). SO after breaking every law in my state, the low cut job will work for me, plus I think it will look cooler with a shorter shield on the Sportster.

Been there......went to a CV shield with Recurve and the problem went away.

Wow, we had some nice weather today. I took it for a long test ride and the buffeting has gone away! From 0-65mph it is for the most part smooth and actually not much wind. When I get up to 70+ the buffeting comes back, but if I am going that fast I get behind the shield more anyway. Maybe it will keep me from speeding.

This will work until the shield wears out then I will try a re-curve replacement or something else.

Back