free website stats program Maricopa County Emissions Testing | Harley Davidson Forums

Maricopa County Emissions Testing

SilverFoXD

Contributor
Been just a rumor that the EPA approved. Now maybe, just maybe, we won't be the only county in the country with motorcycle emissions testing.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

ELIMINATION OF EMISSIONS TESTING ON MOTORCYCLES in Maricopa/Pinal Counties
Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:28 AM EDT
mma, emissions, mro, motorcycle-news, abate
By ArizonaBill
This is an E-mail I received 10/16/2012 with some just Breaking (good) News for those in the Arizona biker community.
Below is the E-mail, reprinted with permission. TY Bobbi.

"ELIMINATION OF EMISSIONS TESTING ON MOTORCYCLES"

Advertise | AdChoices

ATTENTION !!!

Are you ready for the GREATEST NEWS ever, that many of us have been working on for the better part of 10 years? The EPA is about to APPROVE the ADEQ's State Implementation Plan (SIP), requesting the ELIMINATION OF EMISSIONS ON MOTORCYCLES IN MARICOPA COUNTY !!!

I just got a call from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ), stating the following:

As recently reported, the ADEQ had been expecting a 'Disapproval Notice' from the EPA on the last SIP that they submitted, due to the Revision of Ozone Levels at the federal level. Come to find out that when EPA recently submitted their disapproval draft to their D.C. headquarters for approval, the D.C. office apparently had a change of mind and REVERSAL OF OPINION from the last time they dictated what the EPA was to do.

According to ADEQ this morning, the D.C. office just told the EPA that they were wrong, and that the EPA was to APPROVE the ADEQ's request for elimination of yearly motorcycle emissions in Maricopa/Pinal County (AREA A). What happens next?

ADEQ expects the proposed EPA action to be signed this week and published in the Federal Register within 2 weeks. That starts the approximately 30 day Public Comment and EPA response to Pubic Comment period. Once that is complete, the EPA will sign the final action and then have 2 weeks to publish that in the Federal Register. The entire process should be FINAL and EFFECTIVE 60 days from that time frame. This will make our Revised Arizona Statute become law.

The ADEQ will be working with Arizona's MVD during that 60 day time frame, to REVISE the registration forms to no longer state the requirement of emissions on those motorcycles registered in AREA A.

Bottom line is that the elimination of yearly emissions on motorcycles in AREA A should be effective by the end of first quarter of 2013 or before.

Bobbi Hartmann

Legislative Researcher-Consultant

Here in the garden state, we never had emissions for motorcycles, and recently eliminated all inspections for motorcycles. You are still responsible for checking that everything on your scoot works, but no more going to the inspection station.

This is good news. As soon as the state announces the end of emission testing for motorcycles I am going to replace my stock exhaust and cat with some true duals pipes.

That's the only good thing former Gov Ventura did for the state of Minnesota, got rid of all auto emission testing about 10 years ago.

Hope this is a joke!

I vehicles that are used on public roads should have to pass the emissions standards in effect for the year of manufacturing.

Somebody had to the test area, sorry it had to you guys.

It will be nice to see all the bikes having their cats re-installed. No more straight pipes except on older bikes.

IIRC, wasn't there a trade-off? Cars leaking excessive amounts of oil at annual inspection would have to be repaired. Oil leaked from autos and hydrocarbon emissions from those leaks outweighed the emissions from the relatively few registered motorcycles in the two counties in question - or was I totally misinformed?

Back