free website stats program March 30th is Welcome Home VN Vets | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

March 30th is Welcome Home VN Vets

Definately a big THANK YOU for your service.
In Virginia, we have Vietnam Vet plates and I make sure to give the driver a salute and thanks.
The "WALL" is only an hour from me. Looks like I'll have to take a ride March 30th to show my support and respect.

And if you don't listen to Tank, he's going to come "knock on your door" :lolrolling

I would rather he play (and sing) the Septic Tank Man outside on my tank:lolrolling He could even drop the acoustic and play the telecaster.

But again I salute all Vets in any way I can. The Viet Nam ones have a special place in my heart though. For all the C rations we ate, all the rat infested damp guard bunkers we pulled guard in, all the leaches we burned off almost daily, those heavy flak jackets and old style steel pots. And the times we were so exhausted from it all we felt like we could not go on. And then if you were lucky enough to wake up and come home, to get scared all over again becuase the numbness was wearing off.

Glad for the ones that made it back to the 'world' they fought for and stand in honor of the ones that did not. Two of which I grew up with on my hometown block. May they rest in heaven, they are 'numba one GIs' in my book.

... ... ... .... ...
Please also keep in mind that this forum is international and we have many fine veterans from military service from all over the world. Many of them also served in Nam.
... .. ... .. .... .

Just dropped back on here and wanted to reiterate the great point that Tank made. There were Australian soldiers in Nam and also Korean soldiers fighting with us. There may have been other countries also, those were the only ones I knew of personally. It was not just US soldiers.

Also I saw on the news today where Army Sgt Joel Travera who was wounded in Irag in 2008 having lost sight in both eyes, his right leg and 4 fingers on his left hand will now receive a new house in Tampa Florida, from a group called Building Homes for Heroes. I am so glad for him and his wife. Maybe they can get their life back together as best they can.

Last edited by a moderator:
My opinion to this thread is this: I guess better late than never. The problem is the troops returning home today are not even getting the treatment that they rightly deserve. Thats why the First Lady has started a campaign to change Americas lack of respect and care for our troops and their families. It seems to me that Senator Burr has a personal agenda going on. I disagree with the last sentence for as Americans we should have this instilled in us from when we are young, and taught to respect those who have given so much for our freedom and not take that for granted.... So not only is this long overdue, but the Vietnam Vets and all Vets need to be celebrated daily and not just on Veterans day or when a government offical decides its time.

Agree 100% with this.

This is a subject close to the heart. I too am on the registry and do receive comp. In my case the heart problems along with cancer and diabieties were the deciding factors. There are many horror's that will never go away, live life as best as you can, love those around you, respect those that left you and salute those that serve for you now! God Bless the American Soldier!

Back