Manuals

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by AZDave, May 22, 2009.

1. AZDave

AZDave Active Member

Where do I pick up a service manual and who has the best one. What do you all think of the Fix My HOG DVDs?

2. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

HD manual is the most comprehensive one.

You can save some $$$ ordering it here.

https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/pLookUp.php

4. AZDave

AZDave Active Member

Thanks for the info

5. Hill202

Hill202 Active Member Contributor

I suppose it depends on the dealer but I wonder if they normally keep the manuals in stock or do they have to order them?

6. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

although i have early 90s evo bikes softail, Sportster and Dyna i find that the clymer manuals have more detail and are better laid out than the hd service manual i have purchased both brands as a tool for my bikes and in the future will stick to the clymer manuals i think
    but perhaps more modern hd service manuals are better written and more detailed than the early 90s ones were

Brian

7. The4opps1

The4opps1 Junior Member

I have the HD manual, and it's well worth the price ($60). I also picked up "101 Twin Cam Projects" , and while a tad on the expensive side ($35- I had a gift card to a book store) it has some valuable information. It's not a service manual, but does a good job of outlining what is involved in a particular Twin Cam project. For instance, have you ever wondered "what is involved in changing out a set of cams?". This book won't tell you exactly how to do it, but will offer general step by step instructions, and give time saving tips..

8. Bait

Bait Active Member

I recently bought the HD service manuals new on e-bay for $48.00. I also have the Fix-My-Hog DVDs I and II for the Softail and am pleased with them.

9. AZDave

AZDave Active Member

Thanks for the great info. Now I need to just go buy or order one and perhaps the DVDs

10. CIB1Infantry

CIB1Infantry Member

I tried to go the cheap way and bought a "service manual" for 99-05 Dynas...
    Ended up going to the dealer and ordering that manula for my 02 FXDXT, it's much less confusing and has better details.