free website stats program Manual Says 40, AE sidewall Says 42 ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Manual Says 40, AE sidewall Says 42 ?

dbinbc

'09 Electra Glide, just replaced stock 407 rear with an American Elite. Stock tire and owner's manual say 40 psi. American Elite sidewall says 42 psi. Which should I be going with?

The side wall info is the MAX pressure to be inflated too, not what to run at. Most run in the area of 38-39 lbs. Remember too when the tire gets hot, it will increase 3-4 lbs.

'09 Electra Glide, just replaced stock 407 rear with an American Elite. Stock tire and owner's manual say 40 psi. American Elite sidewall says 42 psi. Which should I be going with?

I would go with the NEW Tyre/tire suggested Air Pressure @ 42lbs..

Old tire/tyre is designed for 40#

taking in the load limits also may change the pressure.

signed....BUBBIE

I would get in touch with dunlop and ask them for a recommended pressure for that tyre on your bike
i tried to visit their website but my browser got attacked by blackhole toolkit website 7 so do not go that route for a wee while till their security software wakes up and clears it

Brian

As a general comment, please go to the Manufacturers' websites and get their recommended tire pressure for your type of bike. The information in the Owner's Manual is for the OEM supplied tires only. When changing to different types or brands of tires, the recommended tire inflation pressure should be specific to the tires put on your bike.

TQ

Always go with the pressure noted on the tire. The manual refers to the tires that came on the bike when it was new.

As Glider stated, tire pressure will increase when the tire gets up to temperature (especially on a hot day).

Follow-up to American Elite PSI Question

I had wondered if I should go by the HD manual or the AE sidewall numbers for rear tire pressure. As suggested, I contacted Dunlop and they told me to go by the numbers in the manual for my bike. So, the official answer to what pressure to run in an American Elite rear tire (replacing a 407 OEM) on an Electra Glide is 40 psi, not the 42 indicated on the sidewall.

Back