free website stats program manual confusion | Harley Davidson Forums

manual confusion

hogtyd

I have been to the self help section but can't find my question. I just replaced my rear tire on my 07 lowrider. When I got to the torquing of the rear axle nut the manual is confusing. It says to torque the nut to 92 to 98 ft lbs. then in the next sentence it says not to go over 65 ft lbs to get the cotter pin hole to line up with the slot in the nut. well, my bike does not have a slotted nut it has a "C" ring on the end of the axle. but I don't understand why you torque the axle nut to 95 lbs. but you are not supposed to go past 65 lbs to get a nonexsistant slot to line up. Glider! can you set me straight here?

hogtyd this is what I pulled out of 07 torque spec's in the 07 service manual (Rear axle nut 92-98 ft-lbs 124.7-132.9 Nm page 2-15) they probably just screwed up in the manual using some info for a earlier year model with a 7/8 inch axle and the cotter pin setup, I know on the touring models when they went to the 1 inch axle they increased the torque spec to 100-105 ft lbs, and the torque spec is important for the bearing preload.

Thanks Chopper! I called the dealership and they first told me 55 to 65 then backed up and said 92-98 Appreciate the help. Thanks again.

Back