free website stats program Manual chain adjusters? | Harley Davidson Forums

Manual chain adjusters?

atm33

I just read an article about how the OEM auto chain adjuster can make the chain too tight and wear out bearing and cause other premature issues and excess noise. Has anyone had these problems and switched to a manual adjuster like Baker (attitude adjuster), Hayden, etc and recommend them? I'm aware the manual adjusters would require more frequent maintenance, but I suppose its not a bad idea to open up the primary every once in awhile to check things out anyway...

I replaced the OEM Primary chain adjustment mechanism in all my bikes with the Hayden M6. They have different version of these for the different engines, so check out the site for the one that fits your engine if interested. All of the versions work on the same principle.

Hayden Enterprises ----

Once you have the model, scout the web for pricing and availability.

Cheers,

TQ

I replaced the OEM Primary chain adjustment mechanism in all my bikes with the Hayden M6. They have different version of these for the different engines, so check out the site for the one that fits your engine if interested. All of the versions work on the same principle.

Hayden Enterprises ----

Once you have the model, scout the web for pricing and availability.

Cheers,

TQ

Good suggestion. Great reviews on the Hayden, less maintenance, and $105 shipped on Amazon. This could be the one.

Once you adjust the OEM or the Hayden chain adjustor, you can pretty much forget about for 20K-25K miles. I can't remember when I last checked mine.:coffee

Mine being an older bike. I did not have the auto adjuster but had the manual. I went with the Hayden and it took me awhile to get past the "new" noise. Once it got worn in (either me or it) it works great. Seems it takes awhile for the new shoe to wear in and you get a whine for a while that is disconcerting. The biggest issue is to be sure that you meet the minimum slack in the chain, with the least amount of shim. If the chain is still on the tight side, you will get some noise until the new shoe wears in. Once I got past this stage, I like it.

After reading up on the Hayden, I wonder if installing it might help or even fix the hot start compensator issue? Come to think of it, I didn't have my first "box of rocks" compensator startup until shortly after I tightened my drive belt to spec (it was a little loose). But what do I know.... I'm sure Dolt or BUBBIE could set me straight.

I have read several articles on a tech site that the Hayden tensioner for the 6 speed Harleys (BT107 ?) makes the chain even tighter than the stock HD unit.

Back