free website stats program Malorie's Law | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Malorie's Law

Most laws like this are a kneejerk reaction to a tragic event. Loved ones find a sympathetic lawmaker to sponsor a bill, it gets media attention and before you know it it becomes law. This is a simplistic explanation of the process but in reality that's how it works.

So then another example of how the system is broken. Through no fault of the masses that have to deal or suffer with the consequences of a inept law. :bigsmiley21:

So then another example of how the system is broken. Through no fault of the masses that have to deal or suffer with the consequences of a inept law. :bigsmiley21:

Exactly, in some cases these bills are kept on the down low so the public never knows or has the opportunity to have a voice in it. It's called politics!:(

I'm gonna get seat belts and rig up an air bag on mine. :D

If they're that concerned with our safety, maybe they should pass a law banning cell phones while driving the cages. Nah, that would make too much sense.

And if the bike goes down, having a grab strap for the passenger isn't going to do much. Holding on to a crashing bike doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do. Now if she fell off the back of the crotch rocket under rapid acceleration, I might be able to understand the thinking behind this new law. But the guy wrecked taking a curve too fast. Hand holds wouldn't have saved her.

If they're that concerned with our safety, maybe they should pass a law banning cell phones while driving the cages. Nah, that would make too much sense.

Glazier I feel your pain. Working at a school I see often situations that bring up a concern for safety which at the time the opinion is it should be a top priority. Funny thing, leaving school, the student gets into vehicle with parents, driving at 30 mph plus through campus running stop signs while talking on phone, setting GPS, freshening make up, or any other of the hundreds of things you are not supposed to do while driving. I always think, so what is your point of the safety concern.......:bigsmiley21:

When NJ assault rifle ban took effect it was touted as the solution to gun crime in the state. Our then governor Jim Florio went on an endless campaign to promote his bill. The more he talked, the more people started to question. Come to find out, that of the 13,000+ crimes that were studied in implementing this bill only 1 had been committed with an assault rifle. "Feel good" legislation at it's worst.

My guess would be if motorcycles have to go through a inspection in Texas to receive your plates. That's where you would pass or fail. My question would be how can they enforce a new law on motor vehicles that were not required to have the equipment prior to the law being enacted? I'm thinking they would have to be grandfathered in.

My guess would be if motorcycles have to go through a inspection in Texas to receive your plates. That's where you would pass or fail. My question would be how can they enforce a new law on motor vehicles that were not required to have the equipment prior to the law being enacted? I'm thinking they would have to be grandfathered in.

We do have to pass an inspection in Texas to maintain registration. Just had one of mine inspected and hand holds and rider foot pegs did not come up. Additionally, the inspection sticker is supposed to be attached where it is visible from the rear of the bike. I resisted and my sticker is attached to the fork tube cover. Inspectors in Texas are pretty casual about inspections; I will be surprised if enforcement is activated via the inspection process but we shall see.:sd

We do have to pass an inspection in Texas to maintain registration. Just had one of mine inspected and hand holds and rider foot pegs did not come up. Additionally, the inspection sticker is supposed to be attached where it is visible from the rear of the bike. I resisted and my sticker is attached to the fork tube cover. Inspectors in Texas are pretty casual about inspections; I will be surprised if enforcement is activated via the inspection process but we shall see.:sd

My suspicion that it starts at the inspection area of the DMV is when I lived in Minnesota if you're motor vehicle did not conform to state laws you received a fail and could not license the vehicle until it conformed. On the pass/fail sheet it stated which area you failed and you'd have to have it inspected after the failed area was corrected before you could obtain your plates/registration.

I was thinking how the state would enforce it and that would be the way to ensure compliance.

Back