free website stats program Making turn signals all manual | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Making turn signals all manual

Dan

If I'm not mistaken, you can remove the same wire on the back of the speedo. I believe that goes to the reed switch that cancels the directionals on the evo's and that would make it so YOU have to cancel them. It may however cause other problems like you mentioned with the AVC and CC. One way to find out.

BUT does HD have an 1-800 number or customer survey form or on-line tech support? I was reminded by Glider and company when I first posted on HDT...it has been an eye-opener...HD has a great product, but the marketing and consumer satisfaction issue has come and gone a long

Shows you just how much they care about the consumer, doesn't it.

Dan

If I'm not mistaken, you can remove the same wire on the back of the speedo. I believe that goes to the reed switch that cancels the directionals on the evo's and that would make it so YOU have to cancel them. It may however cause other problems like you mentioned with the AVC and CC. One way to find out.

Shows you just how much they care about the consumer, doesn't it.

Disconnecting the speedometer feedback loop makes sense, but you are likely correct that it will affect the AVC (it raises and lowers volume relating to at speed noise) and CC (cruise control will not get updates as to what the speed is/was)...you can try it. That was my experience on my brand "Y" metric: It did disable the auto cancel direction feature (I had a broken speedometer cable), it might also disable the speedo as well...AND WHO NEEDS THAT...u-h-h-h...H-HI OFFICER...:newsmile090:

This may be an over-simplified way to "cure' this problem. But this will do quick and simple bypass of the OEM system.

Install a fuse, 2 SPST relays (left and right) and a flasher. Wire the load side of each turn signal switch to a relay coil (left and right), wire from the battery, thru a fuse to one side of the flasher, then the other side of the flasher to the line side of both relays (left and right) contacts, wire the load side of each relay contact (left and right) to the turn signals on each side front and back.

This set up gives you a turn signal flashing when you hold down the turn signal switch.

Just terminate the old wiring so it does not short out. That way you would have the old system available if needed.

btsom, PM me and I can give you a line drawing to follow, if you want...

Here's a link to primer on automotive style relays...

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

Here's a link on how to wire a Latched On/Off Output Using a Single Momentary Pulse. If you want the turn signal to stay flashing until you push the switch again you could use this in your wiring for the turn signal lights.

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page5.asp#lsp

Last edited:
Back