free website stats program Makeshift | Harley Davidson Forums

Makeshift

Fuzzman

Account Removed
Just wondering how to work a way to use some sort of pack without a sissy bar? Headed out on a long trip in june. And I don't want to spend $500 on a sissy bar. Any suggestions? Oh ya its for a FXDF. Anyway Thanks in advance. Fuzz:dknow

If you've got room on the seat behind you, just use a bag that doesn't hang over the sides TOO much and judiciously bungee cord or cargo strap it in place. Could go with some removeable/throw over saddlebags. Lastly, they look kind of out of place on a Harley but you can get tank bags that hold a lot of little stuff like phone, maps, etc.

we took a a 3500+ mile trip last summer the old lady riding the rkc she had all her stuff in a dry bag and tbagg strapped on the seat behind her no(edit) bar. they are nice if you want one but you dont need it to pack stuff and travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to bungee something on behind you. you might want to look some of the nuts that have special ends for attaching bungee cords (collars or holes )

Just wondering how to work a way to use some sort of pack without a sissy bar? Headed out on a long trip in june. And I don't want to spend $500 on a sissy bar. Any suggestions? Oh ya its for a FXDF. Anyway Thanks in advance. Fuzz:dknow

Soft Ballistic Nylon Seat Pack/Tail Trunk approx. 14 x 12 x 12 with at least two side pockets a front pocket and dual zipper perimeter top opening with handle. Hopefully it will have plastic or dipped plastic metal hooks that grip your saddle, fender, side rails or turn signals behind you on the "two up" seat. The straps and hooks should tuck in behind pockets so they do not snag when carry bag like a day pack. Chase Harper, Eclipse, Nelson-Rigg, RK, Tour Master are among many manufacturers. They are water resistant, convenient and very handy (test to see if your helmet fits inside). If you have a solo seat, there is a rear rack that goes over rear fender to which you could mount again a soft pack. Make sure it has stiffiners inside to keep the bag shape i.e. look "full" and not collapse in the wind. :D

Wolfman Tail Pack is closest looking to my old fashioned one I have used for years:
Wolfman Ridgeline Duffle > Tail Bags and Panniers

Last edited:
Well just thought I would update; I went with the Grantour bag. Found it for $140. Pretty sweet, considering they want $190 on their site. Anyway thanks again for all the help. Fuzz :D

Back