free website stats program Make up my mind (exhaust) | Harley Davidson Forums

Make up my mind (exhaust)

Glsec507

Last decision I need to make for the current build before I can get back on and ride.
2006 Road King.
S&S 98" kit
Feuling hydro cam conversion kit
Feuling Reaper 543 cams
Powervision

I have narrowed down my picks for exhaust to V&H Pro Pipe Black and Bassani Road Rage B4 black.

Im aware of the other options. D&D being the popular one, thunder header, dragos etc. I don't care for any of the others I've seen except D&D and Fuelmoto Jackpot. But those, being my top choices, are of course not in stock and a substantial wait for them to be. My bike gets finished at the shop sometime next week and I need an exhaust by then.

Sooo, b4 or pro pipe? I want people to know I'm next to them but not so loud I hear it ringing when I shut her off. I want performance levels to be decent throughout but definitely strong low to mid range.

I have listened to both on YouTube but the B4 is limited and mostly on other model bikes so it's hard to compare sound wise. I cannot find any dyno sheets comparing the two or even alone with a similar setup to mine.

If you had my bike, would you spend the $ on the Pro pipe or the Road Rage b4 and why?

Propipe. I know because I have one on my TC88 and I love it. It's there and makes noise but more importantly, it makes torque. It's way quieter than my VH big radius 2:2. From what I saw of all the Bassani stuff at the shop that tuned my bike was that they are all stupid loud which leads me to believe they are much more open and will not make as much torque as the Propipe.
This is all anecdotal and not scientific so if someone has numbers to prove differently, please present them.

I can't find much in the way of video clips specifically for the B4 so it's hard to get an idea of sound and nobody I know around me has any 2-1 setups so I can't go and listen in person.
I'm fairly certain regardless I will be pleased with either one. Just never know and that's an expensive regret haha

I have found 2:1 systems, by nature, drone at cruise speed rpms in a five speed bike; not as bad as with a six speed bike that allows cruising at a lower rpm but still annoying unless ear plugs are worn. That said, the B4 will make more power and since the OP has increased displacement (still a small motor) and added compression and cams, one would assume that power is the goal. Both systems have stepped head pipes but the B4 head pipes are equal length; not so with the Propipe. The Propipe might deliver torque a bit earlier but not enough, IMHO, to out weigh the horsepower the B4 will deliver. The Bassani also comes with both 12mm and 18mm O2 bungs; not sure on the Propipe.

I would have to go with the Bassani and would also suggest that the OP look at a set of Bassani Pro Street pipes; a 2:2 system that makes the same power as most 2:1 systems but, IMHO, sounds and looks better.

Having said all that, my first choice would be the Fuel Moto X pipe with their 4" Jackpot mufflers; dual just look right on a bagger and the FM X-pipe makes torque. As usual, JMHO.;)

The Wrath is also a good choice. Also stepped and equal length head pipes as well as interchangeable baffles. There is a big difference in the sound of the 2.5" and 3.0" baffles. Dyno comparisons between the Wrath the V/H Power DuaIs that I have seen show the Wrath making a few more foot pounds of TQ early, say by 2500 rpms but tapering off to 3500 where they both perrm the same and make the same peak numbers.

Of course, the trick is selecting components that play well together. Some pipes are cam sensitive; some are not. Some pipes will work equally well with different cams and some can cause a 10TQ swing, up or down, and or bring the TQ in earlier or later depending on the cam. It is always a good idea to search dyno charts and see what pipes work well with the cam selection. Fueling cams are not as popular as Andrews, S&S, Woods, TMan, etc. so there are not as many dyno charts available for Fueling cams.:oops:

Plenty of charts available for Andrews and S&S cams though and not difficult to see what exhaust works best with more popular cams. Having said all that, I would have to flip a coin between the Wrath and the B4 but the interchangeable baffles for the Wrath are an attractive feature and, all other things being equal, how the pipes look on the bike then become a criteria.;)

Last edited:
Back